Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade project update (short)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 08:51 AM
JW Hubbers
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few pointers on how to drive the Ring...

It all depends on if you want to do some cruising laps to enjoy the scenery (with some bursts of acceleration in between) or if you want to do many laps over the course of the next few years

If it's just cruising (and if you've never been there; dunno if you have or not?) it might make sense to download some videos and watch them a few times just to get a rough idea of what it's like. Reality is much more intense anyway, so you won't spoil the actual experience that way

If you intend to come more often, you might want to invest some hours to really learn the track before you go out. I.e., get a map and learn the layout of the track by heart.

Regarless, it's wise to read the
official Nürburgring rules. Do not overtake on the right. The chance of getting caught is very high. A few weeks ago the police used a helicopter to observe this

Apart from that I can kick in a few open doors (hope you're not standing too closely behind the empty doorframe):
- watch your mirrors carefully. Especially bikers, GT3's and local old Golfs have a habit of going much faster than you thought possible
- indicate right and move over when you let somebody by. It makes an enormous difference for the overtaker to know that the overtakee has seen him.

Of course I can provide more details if you like, about my experiences with certain corners
Just let me know.

Cheers,

JW
Old 05-13-2004, 09:01 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think cruising pace would be the best way to go, I have not been to the Ring for many years (the last time was in a 525 BMW for one lap on the way to our holiday destination) and that was definitely almost at sightseeing speed! It would be foolish to try to push it, especially with no knowledge of the track as such and of course my car will be a slightly different proposition by then as well....which will take some getting used to. I have watched a lot of videos, but just want to go along to get some up to date impressions especially in a car possibly more suited to the the task!

For further info 9M are saying that all parts are now back from machining etc, so apparently it looks good for collection at the end of next week.....
Old 05-13-2004, 09:06 AM
JW Hubbers
Pro

Good news on the parts

You're welcome to some passenger laps in my 964 of course, but ít looks like I won't be arriving before Sunday afternoon on July 4th. If you like you can drop me a line just before you leave and I can find out which of the usual suspects will be there when you arrive & hook you up with one or two that are both safe & quick. That offer is open for other Rennlisters too, of course

Cheers,

JW
Old 05-13-2004, 10:15 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

JW - I'd LOVE a passenger lap. I'm definitely going to be at cruising speed in mine, especially after Wales but I'd be very keen to travel with someoe who isn't!

See you in July.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:27 AM
JW Hubbers
Pro

No worries I'm not the fastest guy around, so don't expect too much Apart from that I use regular street tyres, not the extra-sticky R-compounds.

Cheers,

JW

Quick Reply: Upgrade project update (short)