Sponsored by:

Front axle inner boots loose

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2023, 01:07 PM
socalvet
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front axle inner boots loose

I am working on my 964, C4 and on the front axles, the factory Porsche clamps for the inner boots are just a simple bend and fold type. they do not use a crimp clamp. the inner boots have a different design than the outers and the rears. They have a grove that is not present on the other CV joints. The boot also has a lip of sorts that fits into the grove. When I tighten the boot clamp down and bend the tab over, the boot will still spin on the axle. I cannot find anything in the OEM manual that shows how to install the boot or clamp. I have driven it and it does not spray grease onto the chassis, and I want to verify that this is normal for this inner front axle boot.

Photo showing the OEM clamp style

This photo showing the grove on the inner axle flange.
Old 01-03-2023, 01:37 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 431 Likes on 279 Posts

I use a channel lock plier to clamp those down. Grab the tab with the channel lock...roll it backward, push down the slotted side with a flat head screwdriver, and once that starts to make a sharp angle, it won't slip, so you can release the pliers. Easy enough. Hope that helps.

But- you can also just install a heavy zip tie and be done, if you get frustrated with the oem clamp.
Old 01-04-2023, 04:28 AM
misteralz
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

There should be a 'bump' on the clamp. Once you've gotten it together, nip the 'bump' up a touch with a blunt nail pinch.

Quick Reply: Front axle inner boots loose