Cabriolet Inner Woes

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 06:03 AM
jonscott
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabriolet Inner Woes

Hi !

Thanks to the guys who gave suggestions on my water leak This is a very usefull forum and such info is of great value.

2 Questions.....

1. I have a 1990 964 Cabriolet. The roof is in pretty fair condition but sadly to say the liner is not. Is it possible to replace just the liner? if so where can I buy a liner? Each parts dealer I have talked to are VERY happy to sell me a whole new cab top which seems daft when all I need is a liner. I notice that a 993 cab can be bought with and without a liner so I am wondering if..... if all else fails, can just cut away the scabby liner and leave the outer? I think the cab top has at least another 2-3 years life and I do not yet feel the need to part with a lot of money 2 years ahead of a replacement.

2. My car has the wonderous beige leather fronted... plastic backed interior. On the drivers side door pillar the pretend leatherette has a small tear. Is there anyone out there providing colour matched leather replacements for this nasty plastic?

Cheers

Jonno
Old 05-11-2004, 09:12 PM
botoo
Instructor

I was hoping you would have received some feedback about this as I too have the same problem of the vinyl or leatherette liner torn on the door pillars, behind the side windows. It must have been torn by the top mechanism situated near this area. My top is in good condition except for this.

There must be many Cabrios out there with this problem. I would think some have had either a good or bad experience repairing this. I can't find anything searching the net.

Any help would be appreciated...
Old 05-11-2004, 09:31 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can both do away with the scabby headliner and buy a replacement liner by itself. However, and there used to be threads on this, replacing the headliner is not a job for the amateur. What I did was to run my cab for a couple of years without the liner before the cab roof needed replacing and then had both professionally replaced.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:59 AM
Rob McConnell
Racer

Hi Guys

I am running mine at present without the liner, check what condition the inside of the top is before removing. Some people have complained about wires showing. But i dint have that problem myself.

The inside of the top is the same weave fabric as the liner anyway.

Cheers
Rob
91 964 cab
Jersey, UK
Old 05-13-2004, 09:28 PM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also am running without the liner. It looks much better this way than with the ratty old liner up there. However, GAHH, Inc. appears to have the headliner for only $45. I didn't do it because it looked okay with out and I heard it was tough to put in correctly, plus I figured I would wait and replace it with the top in a couple more years when it needs it.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:05 PM
botoo
Instructor

The problem with our tears does not seem to be the headliner, but it is the vinyl or leatherette which seems to be part of the window part of the top. The tears are just in front of the zippers on the sides.

Actually my cloth headliner looks like new.

Quick Reply: Cabriolet Inner Woes