Strange Behavior 4 Trunk Light Switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 08:48 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Behavior 4 Trunk Light Switch

Hi All

Came back to my 964 after a week sitting idle to a dead battery. First thing I checked was the trunk light (i.e. after erchargubg battery) and sure enough it was on and probably drained battery. After flicking the trunck switch repeatedly the light remained on. I then removed the switch with the wires connected which would have broken the circuit by removing the ground connection thru the threads of the switch but the light still remained on. It wasn't until I disconnected the connector to the light that the light went out. I then reintstall the switch and everything worked properly. Is there circuitry that is in parrallel to the switch that supplies current to the light that was reset when I disconnected the connector?

Thanks in advance for your responses
Bill
90C2
Old 05-11-2004, 04:20 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Bill,
When you removed the switch how many wires were on the end? It is quite possible that one of the earth wires has fallen off and is resting inside the luggage compartment lid. If it is the light will intermittantly come on and stay on, flatenning your battery.
How do I know? Happened to me. Personally I would leave the light disconnected.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 05-11-2004, 07:10 AM
darth
Burning Brakes

Adrian

There was only one wire connected to the end of the switch (I had resoldered about a year ago) and it was very secure. I know the light in the engine compartment will come on when the engine compartment lid is closed (one can look thru the engine grill and see the light is on without opening the engine lid) and the trunk lid is open - I think this is the correct way it should work although it's beyond me why Porsche would design it this way. When I disconnected the plug going to the trunk light it was as if some external circuitry to the trunk light was reset.

Bill
90C2
Old 05-11-2004, 11:51 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Bill,
There are two wires normally on the end of this switch. Rephrase, there were two on mine. They are also required to be crimped (very dickey system) but soldering works. I suspect your other wire is dangling around in the luggage compartment lid.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

PS: When you disconnected the plug you jiggled the loom and that fixed the problem for now. You reset nothing because they are just earths that are used by the light and the alarm system.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:15 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

Thanks Adrian

...bill
90C2
Old 05-31-2004, 12:18 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

FYI

On closer examination of the trunk light switch it turns out there is only one wire connected to the switch on my C2. I noticed when it was working (I presume correctly) that the engine compartment light would come on if the trunk was opened. I suspect there must be a loose wire in the engine compartment light/switch which is shorted to ground.

Bill
90C2
Old 05-31-2004, 06:33 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW I've been looking into this problem of late since I've had a problem with my alarm.

I concluded that Porsche designed the interactive luggage/engine lights for the simple reason that if one light goes off by manually depressing the switch you can be sure the other is already off. You cannot see the luggage compartment light when the lid is closed but if the engine light goes off manually you KNOW the luggage light is off.

That's the only way I can make sense of it.

Regards

Dave

Quick Reply: Strange Behavior 4 Trunk Light Switch