Creaking front windscreen?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 06:54 AM
gilessav
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creaking front windscreen?

Hi,

Anyone had the associated noise in the thread title? The car was squeak free when i got her but seems to have developed a creaking/squeaking noise from the righthand side windscreen area (LHD car) when going over any bumps etc. I'm sure i've read somewhere about an easy fix or it being a common issue but cant re-find the source.

Thanks in advance

Giles.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:04 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe it's a common problem for 993s - and a fix is some kind of tape - but not heard of it for 964s.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:11 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Very common problem if a new windscreen has been fitted with an OEM (not Porsche part number) seal and the windscreen is not bonded (glued) in accordance with factory instructions. The windscreen moves with the body flex and eventually wears through the seal causing glass to rub against metal and it makes a horrible noise. Also allows a path for water to enter the windscreen channel and start for rust to take hold on the now damaged area of the channel.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 05-05-2004, 10:03 AM
gilessav
Advanced

Thanks guys,

The noise only seems to have started recently and does'nt seem to be the sound of glass on metal/seal but i could be wrong. The windscreen is i assume original as it is a top tint (specified as an option on the car) and whilst the name escapes me is manufactured by the firm listed in Adrians book. I thought it might be the screws on the top panel of the dash need tightening but maybe i'll need to do some more investigating.

Cheers
Giles.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:07 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fact that it's got the tint - and is the right name - doesn't mean it's original. When I had mine replaced, the glass company asked if I had the tint and replaced with the same - and it was the original name (Sigla or something like that).
Old 05-05-2004, 11:53 AM
gilessav
Advanced

Cheers Dave,

I'll investihgate further then, just assumed it was the original as seemed like a very expensive screen with element in it and the tint + brand name. Also no note in the FSH but could be written in the early German records i suppose. Maybe tape is the order of the day to cure it. No obvious signs of any water ingress anywhere in the car or indeed rust so hoping its not advanced if indeed its the screen.

Thanks
Giles.

Quick Reply: Creaking front windscreen?