Cam Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 06:19 AM
GP964
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cam Replacement

Hi All,

I'm thinking of getting cams for my car, has anyone tried replacing their cams? Is it a "do it yourself" project?

Steps to get to them and remove them?
Does the engine need to be out?

Thanks

GP 90 964 C2
Old 05-02-2004, 10:47 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GP,

Are you doing the work yourself or wondering what a shop might charge you? Here's a link to Arjan's Famous 100K Service thread which will give you an idea of what's involved with engine work.

What sort of cams are you going with? Are you making other changes concurrently? What results are you hoping for?
Old 05-03-2004, 06:37 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Joey,

How do you attach such a link to a reply???

GP, You have to remove your engine for that. I think it will be a expensive job, be aware of that.

May I ask you why you want to do that? There are a lot of other improvements to get more HP's.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:24 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Arjan,

First, you must Search for the thread and then "right-click" on it. You will receive an option to "Copy Shortcut". The link will be saved to the clipboard.

Next, you select the "http://" button from the Reply window and then you will be prompted for the name of the link you want to embed and then the html location. You must hit "Ctrl-V" to paste the link into the box.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:00 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

GP964, it's an engine out job but once it's out, an easy enough job...given the right knowledge and tools.

Mind you, I ALWAYS tell people, if you UNDERSTAND what you are doing...that's half the battle...and the valvetrain on a 911 REQUIRES that you know what you are doing, or you'll cause havoc for yourself, not to mention your engine.

If you have the "know how" to change out the cams and time them properly...go for it...if you're going to pay someone to do it - get out the wallet!!

Another thing to consider...WHAT GRIND are you thinking of?? MANY "Performance" shops will give you ill-fated advice when it comes to upgrading your cams...the 964 has a pretty good grind in it already, enough that I won't dare mess with mine.

Check with Webcam, Elgin and others...see what they say, then consider the ~10HP upgrade -VS.- the lightness in your wallet.

The 3.6 engine in the 964 is VERY expensive to get another 30HP out of...very. The best things one can do is get some headwork, a decent exhaust system and a custom chip - done on a dyno, with YOUR car.

Okay enough...that's my "two cents".
Old 05-04-2004, 03:05 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

O.k. Joey...... thanks!

Quick Reply: Cam Replacement