Sponsored by:

Just picked up a 1991 C2 Targa!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2022, 01:38 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by KOTYKB
@forbiddenbeat Great work on this thread. I live in Phoenix Arizona and was looking for a good shop for when I acquire another 964. The suspension work that you did with replacing all the rubber bushings and the main components that wear over time is something I'd also do myself. What was the rough cost for Parts + Labor for a job like this? It seems like most 964's out there need a full suspension refresh and possibly a top end rebuild if it has deferred maintenance. Did you happen to do a compression/leakdown on your car before buying it, any leaks either? Thank you!
Hey there! Thanks so much. I don't have the receipts handy, but I think the labor for suspension plus some other small things was like $4-5k, parts $7k. Something like that.

Top-end usually you don't need until you're closer to 100k, but like you said depends on maintenance. Yep, I absolutely did a compression test, I think that's must-do with a PPI. It was all good, and no major leaks. It had some evidence of seeping from the timing and valve covers but no actual dripping, which I think is normal at this mileage. I also drive it regularly and its never once dripped on the oil mat.
Old 09-30-2022, 01:42 PM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

That's really not that bad for getting your suspension fully dialed in! One of the cars I'm passively looking at has over 100k miles and the top end rebuild and all the deferred maintenance isn't getting me excited for the entry price. I should have kept my slate gray 1992 C2!
Old 09-30-2022, 01:48 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

That's really not that bad for getting your suspension fully dialed in! One of the cars I'm passively looking at has over 100k miles and the top end rebuild and all the deferred maintenance isn't getting me excited for the entry price. I should have kept my slate gray 1992 C2!
Yeah it wasn't bad, although I think Chad may have given me a break on labor costs.

I was looking at another targa that had 45k miles and was a rare 1994, and the PPI showed leaks from cylinder bolts ($$), valve, and timing covers but solid compression. Folks here said don't stress about it, just drive it and leaks aren't a big deal. I ultimately walked since it was TMU and I wasn't feeling comfortable with the backstory. Point is though, as I'm sure you know, it's worth dropping the ~$500 on a PPI just top see where things stand.
Old 09-30-2022, 01:54 PM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

I searched for 2 years until I found my previous 964, the chase is almost the best part of the buying process. Right now, the market is finally starting to soften, so many people have polished turds and want $100k that have so much deferred maintenance. I'm fine wasting $500 on a PPI if it helps give me full transparency for what the car needs. I l look forward to more posts on the upgrades you do to your Targa
The following users liked this post:
forbiddenbeat (09-30-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 10:18 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

I searched for 2 years until I found my previous 964, the chase is almost the best part of the buying process. Right now, the market is finally starting to soften, so many people have polished turds and want $100k that have so much deferred maintenance. I'm fine wasting $500 on a PPI if it helps give me full transparency for what the car needs. I l look forward to more posts on the upgrades you do to your Targa
Interesting I am not seeing the softening of the market. Although I do agree those that overpaid for polished turds are looking to unload. The nice cars are still in high demand commanding premiums. So you might see cars with needs asking prices lower than before but be careful with them they usually are far worse than realized.
KOTYKB (10-02-2022)
Old 10-30-2022, 02:35 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Just received my custom frunk mat and floor mats from CarBone! They are a pleasure to work with and I'm very pleased with the results. The frunk mat is kind of a blend of RS and standard, making room for a Rennline 3-point strut brace that is going in soon. The floormats match the herringbone pattern, but I'm waiting to put those in until after I install Rennline a Rennline floorboard and pedal set (I had them do a short driver's side mat that won't ride up the Rennline floorboard).

Old 10-30-2022, 03:51 PM
lacouelle
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Love it , well done
Do you have the side parts for the front trunc too ?
Old 10-30-2022, 04:02 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lacouelle
Love it , well done
Do you have the side parts for the front trunc too ?
Thanks! Nope, no sides because they'd get in the way of the 3-point strut mount. You can see an RS mat here: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...loyds-mat.html, so CarBone did something kind of in between.
Old 10-30-2022, 04:13 PM
lacouelle
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by forbiddenbeat
Thanks! Nope, no sides because they'd get in the way of the 3-point strut mount. You can see an RS mat here: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...loyds-mat.html, so CarBone did something kind of in between.
Ok , understood
Old 01-20-2023, 02:03 PM
schroederhc1
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 61 Posts
Default I've been dialing my 1990 in as well

Old 03-09-2023, 07:54 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

@schroederhc1 missed your post earlier, that is looking great!

Nothing new on my car recently, waiting for all this rain in California to stop. I have a Rennline strut tower going in next, then I think I'll focus on some minor cosmetic stuff that's been bugging me.
schroederhc1 (03-09-2023)

Quick Reply: Just picked up a 1991 C2 Targa!