Steering wheel grating noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 01:48 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering wheel grating noise

This morning my steering wheel has began making a rubbing or mild grating sound when turned,...quite irritating really!

I realize this isnt much info to troubleshoot, but as I have not yet the time to start taking things apart I figured I'd post and see if there are any obvious or usual suspects...any ideas?

Cheers,
Old 04-30-2004, 02:00 PM
Rushjob
Advanced

Location: The depths of Sherwood Forest, UK or if you're really unlucky, sat in your mirrors
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine did this - sand or similar stuck to the horn contact on the back of the wheel.....don't ask me how it got there but a quick wipe and a squirt of WD40 put all back in order.
Another possible is the switch assembly being a little loose & moving out from the dashboard towards the driver slightly.
Andy
Old 04-30-2004, 03:09 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Andy..I'll check both of these!
Old 04-30-2004, 08:07 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK, so what size socket do I need to remove my steering wheel? I can't find one that fits well! Any pointers on removing wheel?

Cheers,
Old 04-30-2004, 08:38 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Howard,

Here's what you need to remove the Factory wheel.

- Torx T30 screwdriver socket
- ½” rachet driver with 5” socket extension
- 24mm socket (15/16" might be a better fit if you can find one)

***SAFETY TIP: Unplug the battery ground and let it sit for at least 20 minutes. This is required when playing with the airbag.

Use the Torx bit to loosen the screws on the back side of the steering wheel located at 3 and 9 o'clock. These screws hold the airbag in place. Carefully unplug the airbag connection.

The large socket is used to remove the main nut attaching the steering wheel to the steering rack. When remounting, tighten to 32.5 lb ft.

Piece of cake! (with the right tools )
Old 04-30-2004, 10:05 PM
mark964
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's worth, I've removed my steering wheel on many occasions. Never did undo the battery ground. No issues. HOWEVER - do NOT turn on ignition at all until you reconnect the airbag. A fault code will register and cause the airbag light AND seat belt light to come one. Only way to clear is with Bosch Hammer.

I of course foolishly turned on the ignition with airbag disconnected as I was installing a trip computer tach.
Old 05-01-2004, 01:10 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies! I actually plugged the gaps around my wheel and liberally applied WD40 with the narrow applicator (straw to you and me!)

It now is smooth as can be! FYI, wheel is aftermarket 3-spoke and I have no airbag. ( I am presuming the main nut is the same size. Joey - 15/16 sounds 'bout right - I tried 13 steenths earlier and it was only just too small)

However, the story doesn't end there, coming home tonight I got cutoff by an SUV, I immediately brake and hit my horn and.......NOTHING!! Grrr....

When I got home, a short while ago, I briefly removed the front of my wheel and the connections for the horn are all in place. Could the WD have created a short?

Damn frustrating!

Quick Reply: Steering wheel grating noise