Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 alarm issue (fairly specific)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2022, 02:39 PM
zaffer
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 964 alarm issue (fairly specific)

I have searched for a thread for this particular issue and I have found nothing so far. Here is my issue:

I have a 1994 964 with the Clifford alarm system. When I arm the system after driving it, it will activate at 4 minutes and 30 seconds. I disarm the system, arm it, and then it will not activate. I can disarm and arm the system as many times as I want to and it will not activate, as long as I have not turned the key to the "Run" position (it doesn't matter if the engine is running or not).

When it first started happening, I noticed it was always after I had driven the car, but today I decided to see what would happen if I just turned the car on, turned it off, and then armed the system and it activates at 4minutes and 30 seconds. The blink code is for Zone 3, which I know is doors and glove box, however with the the alarm armed, I cannot activate the alarm by banging on the doors or glove box. I even pulled/pushed on the doors (without opening them) with no alarm activation.

I have the Durametric and there are faults permanently stored in the alarm system:
14 - Position of the drive elements implausible
15 - Doors open during activation
16 - Engine compartment open during activation
17 - Luggage compartment open during activation
18 - Glove comp. open during activation
26 - Radio contact connected to ground during activation

These faults will clear and immediately come back, even if I haven't activated the alarm. I checked all of the contacts and they appear to be in good condition with no issues. I can even activate the alarm with each component, which is normal. All micro-switches are operating correctly and the alarm system does not beep a second time after arming, indicating that ll components are in their correct position for the alarm to work. I even turned the radio on (with the key NOT in the ignition), turned it off, and it activated the alarm once it shut down. The factory Porsche Classic Communication Management (PCCM) radio was installed not too long ago, so this is possible (the radio with Bluetooth, touch screen, etc. for older Porsches).

I also installed a new Clifford alarm system to get new key fobs and the same thing happens with the same faults, so I don't think it's the module. What gets me is that it happens at 4 and a half minutes, but only when the car has been turned on, turned off, and the alarm armed, but only the first time it's armed after being turned off.

I replaced both door switches due to the flashing code, checked the wiring between the door switches and the alarm module, checked the glove box switch, checked the engine lid switch, checked the luggage compartment switch, and all seem to be working correctly. I also unplugged the luggage compartment switch and engine lid switch together and one at a time with no difference.

I'm running out of solutions here and I mainly want the system for the keyless entry as the alarm is not important due to where the car is.

Any other ideas would be great and if there is something that needs further explaining, please let me know.
Old 06-14-2022, 04:05 PM
zaffer
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Quick update: When I take the fuse out of the radio spot in the fuse panel,turn the car on and off, and arm the alarm, the alarm does not activate. When I put the fuse back in, turn the car on and then off (thereby turning the PCCM on and off), and arm the alarm, the alarm activates 4-and-a-half minutes later. I also turned the car on and off, turned the PCCM on, armed the alarm, and it did not activate as the radio was still on. Everything points to the PCCM.

My educated guess at this point is that even though the PCCM is turning the display off, it is not fully turning off until 4-and-a-half minutes later, which then triggers the alarm as the alarm thinks someone is trying to steal the radio. Now I just need to figure out what I need to do to bypass this or get the PCCM to shut down when the vehicle is turned off. I know modern cars have module that take a while to turn off and even cycle for a little while until the car is fully shut down and I'm thinking the same is true for the PCCM.

Quick Reply: 964 alarm issue (fairly specific)