Sponsored by:

Fan Bearing Diagnosis? Tinkling sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 03:24 AM
kta
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fan Bearing Diagnosis? Tinkling sound

I've noticed this tinkling sound from inside the cabin for some time now - while in idle, during very low revs when I'm starting to move, or when I'm revving lightly and releasing the throttle. I periodically go to the engine bay to see if I can hear the same noise from outside. For a time it was intermittent, but it's more noticeable now - though it's very possible I could just be more observant than I was before? I had my mechanic look at it from the engine bay last year when it was more faint, and he said the noise might the fan bearing - but nothing of major concern at the time. He had his ear right up to the fan while in idle and revving slightly.

I checked the service records, and the fan bearing PN# 96410605130 was replaced in '07 / 22k miles ago.

After reading more, I first checked the fan and it is not hitting the shroud. There are wear marks, but that may have been from prior to my ownership. All belts were replaced a year ago (2k miles on them since). I haven't gone as far as removing the belts to just rotate the fan and the alternator shaft yet.

The link below is of the engine idling, then a little revving, and another one with a profile shot of the belts and fan just to see how the alignment of the shims and fan itself. The fan looks ok, the shims have a slight wobble, but wanted to get y'all's opinion whether there might be something you think could be suspect, is it normal, or something else? Thank goodness the exhaust is stock, couldn't imagine diagnosing these with a cat bypass haha.

The engine growl is overpowering, but when the volume is up or with headphones, you can hear a light tinkle/chime between the revs, or when it's idling steady. I'm doing a project soon to remove all the intakes and clean up my mess from an overfill. If there is anything related the bearing for concern, then I'll tackle it while I'm in there. 'Tis the season to get this car on the road some more, so want to make sure she's all good before doing long trips again!

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

Old 06-02-2022, 01:57 AM
kta
Advanced

Bump
Old 06-07-2022, 12:05 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I would just replace the bearing in the fan, cheap insurance that it doesnt leave you on the side of the road.. Mine went out one day and it would make a clanging noise above 5000rpm like the engine was about to tear itself apart. They are easy enough to change out. Check your fan for cracks when you do replace it.
Old 06-07-2022, 10:48 PM
midnight 911
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

See if your resonance flap bearing is rattling. You can put pressure on the shaft with a long screwdriver to check. It seems to be becoming very common for bearing/ leak issues here.

Old 06-09-2022, 07:09 PM
kta
Advanced

Originally Posted by mystert
I would just replace the bearing in the fan, cheap insurance that it doesnt leave you on the side of the road.. Mine went out one day and it would make a clanging noise above 5000rpm like the engine was about to tear itself apart. They are easy enough to change out. Check your fan for cracks when you do replace it.
Thanks for the advise mystert. I will follow through with that. Good to replace some parts after almost 15 years.

Originally Posted by midnight 911
See if your resonance flap bearing is rattling. You can put pressure on the shaft with a long screwdriver to check. It seems to be becoming very common for bearing/ leak issues here.
Dang - I hope that could be it. Whatever the sound is, it's been a pain to locate with the engine running. Appreciate the call out there!

Last edited by kta; 06-10-2022 at 04:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Fan Bearing Diagnosis? Tinkling sound