Sponsored by:

Windscreen washer problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 05:00 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windscreen washer problem

I have the "intensive" washer system - the one where the reservoir is in the front luggage compartment. It seems to have stopped working - which doesn't bother me, since I didn't use it anyway) so I assume the motor has died. When I tried it yesterday it didn't sound like the motor ran, but the wipers moved so the switch is OK. But.....

On Saturday, I filled up the main washer reservoir. I had previously cleaned the luggage compartment out and noticed the intensive washer reservoir was empty - and I left it empty.

But - yesterday I noticed the carpet was damp around the intensive reservoir. Looks like the cap isn't sealing properly - but what really surprised me is - the reservoir is now full!

I think that it filled when I filled the main reservoir on Saturday. Is this possible and does it mean my one way valve thingy is broken? Or was it really full when I thought it was empty on Saturday?
Old 04-26-2004, 10:31 AM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave,

I don't have the intensive system. However my bottle is under the left front bumber. I had a leak also.

My rubber grommet that seals the pump to the bottle was not all the way in casuing my bottle to leak. I cleaned everything around and seated it back together with some silicone. Voila....no more leaks.

Ps. Mine actually leaked on the ground so I was lucky.

Jeff
Old 04-26-2004, 12:51 PM
John Miles
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Dave,
Classic symptoms. Your one-way valves are blocked. The 2 washer systems feed into the outlets via one-way valves. They gum up over time. So when you hit the normal wash, fluid is pumped up to the nozzles and get sent by the blockage down to the intensive reservoir. This then fills up and when full leaks out of the tiny air hole in the center of the cap.
You need to swap out the one-way valve. Very fiddly job I'm afraid unless you have tiny hands.
John
Old 04-26-2004, 02:23 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll concour with John on this one, it's your one way valves, and they are as fiddly as hell.
You could if you want, disconnect the feed from the intensive wash and block the return path, this would work short term at least.

kevin.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:41 AM
DaveK
Race Car

John,
From your description it sounds like my normal washer system wouldn't work if the one way valves were blocked? But it does.

By the way - where abouts in the washer system are they? Near the bottle or up by the jets?
Old 04-27-2004, 01:29 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Dave, the ordinay jets will still work, trust me.

The return valves are by the jets, each washer system has two return valves per washer jet, making 4 in total. they will be crimped into place, and then joined into an elbow or union to fit into the washer jet itself.
You may be able to see bubbles working thier way back down the system if someone else uses the jets whilst you watch, but trust me failed non returns on the intensive side have no effect on the normal washer system..

kevin
Old 04-27-2004, 04:39 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Ah - I think I know where these are. Quite a while ago, I found that the metal "blade" connecting the wipers had sawed through the washer pipe. I re-routed the pipes so they are now a lot more accessible and I remember the bits you're talking about. Will take a look at them at the weekend.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:52 AM
DaveK
Race Car

By the way - where do I get replacements? Did you use an OPC or one of the other parts suppliers - and any idea of cost? I assume not that expensive but you can never tell with Porsche.....

Quick Reply: Windscreen washer problem