Sponsored by:

evaporator leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 04:33 PM
gccch
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
Upgrading your lines to barrier hose will take a week or two (my preferred supplier for this work is not far from you).
Replacing the foam in the suitcase will take a few days.
Wait time for seals coming from Germany will eat up a week or two.
Sounds like I should wait for the Griffiths unit to become available.

But can you tell me why these other items can't be ordered in advance? The labor to restore the seals will take that many man-days?

Old 04-20-2022, 08:07 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by gccch
But can you tell me why these other items can't be ordered in advance? The labor to restore the seals will take that many man-days?
Many parts are only stocked in Germany. That will tack on 1-2 weeks.
Every time I get into a big project, I find that one part I didn't expect to need and it has to come from Germany. So tack on some more time.
Budget two weekends to remove, refresh and re-install with a week or two in between while you make new damper seals and await overseas shipments.
Typical parts are an o-ring set, evaporator, expansion valve, upper and lower seal suitcase seal and 2 mm oval head screws that hold the suitcase together.
Since I removed all my lines and had them re-worked, plus installing a new condenser (which wasn't exactly a bolt-on part), powder coated and plated many parts, created new condenser seals and suitcase seals and waited as some things had to be done twice, took two months. Now that's my experience and I went end to end on my system, so I'm thinking that there will be enough things that you will need to correct that a weekend might not be realistic. Then again, maybe you don't go that deep into it. It's your choice.

Last edited by Metal Guru; 04-20-2022 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-20-2022, 08:10 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 964Luftballoon
Agreed. Ive been waiting for them to restock as well. Right now it's evacuate and refill as needed. Summer is coming haha
Mine got to the point where it wouldn't hold a charge through the season. That's when I knew drastic action was required.
Old 04-20-2022, 09:28 PM
gccch
Racer

Mine got to the point where it wouldn't hold a charge through the season. That's when I knew drastic action was required.
Pretty sure I am in that same situation. I may be able to get a Griffith's evaporator but it's gonna be costly. Sounds like that is the one to get being I'm in Miami and AC is an absolute necessity. I changed my cab to a hardtop for the same reasoning. So I may as well go all the way.
Old 04-20-2022, 09:30 PM
gccch
Racer

My car came from your area. Was in Flint from new until recently.
Old 04-21-2022, 09:36 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gccch
My car came from your area. Was in Flint from new until recently.
That's a little bit of a surprise. Flint is a working class, post-industrial city. There's a more-affluent town just south from there called Grand Blanc that I expect would have a few more Porsches than Flint. On the whole, there aren't a lot of Porsches in Michigan or Porsches sold new in Michigan.
Old 04-21-2022, 06:45 PM
gccch
Racer

That's a little bit of a surprise. Flint is a working class, post-industrial city. There's a more-affluent town just south from there called Grand Blanc that I expect would have a few more Porsches than Flint. On the whole, there aren't a lot of Porsches in Michigan or Porsches sold new in Michigan.
That was per the carfax I was shown.
Old 04-21-2022, 08:38 PM
mootsvamootsrsl
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

May I suggest adding the Griffiths Kuehl Air evaporator. My 964's AC now blows down to 48 degrees Perfect for my desert trips.
Old 04-21-2022, 09:00 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mootsvamootsrsl
May I suggest adding the Griffiths Kuehl Air evaporator. My 964's AC now blows down to 48 degrees Perfect for my desert trips.
Guess you didn't read the thread.
They are not available at this time.

Last edited by Metal Guru; 04-21-2022 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-22-2022, 01:30 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 317 Posts

Guess you didn't read the thread.
They are not available at this time.
I'm not an expert (for real), but is this the same one?: https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...I=833&DID=9865

Pelican is showing it in stock when I search for evaps for my 1990 cab. Could also be that Pelican inventory is off, so no guarantees.
Old 04-22-2022, 01:42 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by darylbowden
I'm not an expert (for real), but is this the same one?: https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...I=833&DID=9865

Pelican is showing it in stock when I search for evaps for my 1990 cab. Could also be that Pelican inventory is off, so no guarantees.
It shows as Out of Stock if you try adding it to your cart.
Old 04-22-2022, 01:51 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken D
It shows as Out of Stock if you try adding it to your cart.
Told you I wasn't an expert lol!

I did find it in stock @ vivid racing. I've only ever ordered one thing from them so I have no idea if it's actually in stock and no real history with them, but if somebody's in need, might be worth a call out to them at least.

https://www.vividracing.com/griffith...151705261.html
Old 04-22-2022, 05:54 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by darylbowden
Told you I wasn't an expert lol!

I did find it in stock @ vivid racing. I've only ever ordered one thing from them so I have no idea if it's actually in stock and no real history with them, but if somebody's in need, might be worth a call out to them at least.

https://www.vividracing.com/griffith...151705261.html
Out of stock at Vivid as well.
I made the rounds last spring trying to buy one so I tried Pelican and Vivid. No joy.
Old 05-08-2022, 01:19 PM
gccch
Racer

Tubes 'N Hoses in Jacksonville.
Are you sure of the name of this place? I can't find it on google maps. I'm going to begin ordering parts and plan to try this job in June.
Old 05-12-2022, 07:15 PM
gccch
Racer

I'm going ahead with this job and gathering parts. I'll have to go with the OEM evaporator since Griffith's is sold out for now.

Been reading up on the job and have ordered most of what I anticipate needing. The p-car article has been most helpful but it is based on the 993. There is a comment about the 964 being more troublesome with regard to fan ductwork.

Can anyone tell me if I'm going to need to replace the inlet duct work beneath the fans? And there will be more foam seals involved? And are there cabin filters?

Quick Reply: evaporator leak