Sponsored by:

Unknown plastic part found in the passenger door

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 08:59 AM
spooky69
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by No_snivelling
Just to clarify, I was not recommending TPU for your application. It might work if you can get the right hardness. The stuff I have seen would be too soft, but I think you can get it in harder grades. PLA might work, but ABS or Nylon would probably be better. Just watch out for toxic ABS fumes while printing.

If you do decide to go with new door check straps, you should read up on how the aftermarket ones need a modification to reduce too high internal resistance.
I had to do that modification. It doesn't need much shaved off though!
Old 03-25-2022, 10:27 AM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by spooky69
I agree with the above, What I did was use my old door strap and took it apart and took that very part off the new one and use on my old strap. The problem is the new strap will cause damage to you door because it will be to tight. The other thing you can do is shave the internals on the new strap. I hope this makes since.
Old 03-25-2022, 10:38 AM
Alexd912
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by No_snivelling
Just to clarify, I was not recommending TPU for your application. It might work if you can get the right hardness. The stuff I have seen would be too soft, but I think you can get it in harder grades. PLA might work, but ABS or Nylon would probably be better. Just watch out for toxic ABS fumes while printing.

If you do decide to go with new door check straps, you should read up on how the aftermarket ones need a modification to reduce too high internal resistance.

Hey,

PLA is what I have access to, so would be that 1st.
Door straps I am not to sure what my Local place sell, or then Rose Passion, but hoping my fix will be good enough, but I will order those plates just for peace of mind as the Passenger door seems to be good, but will check drivers this week.

Big thanks again for all your help, its very appreciated.

Alex
Old 03-25-2022, 10:39 AM
Alexd912
Racer

I might have to ask later, but what needs shaving off?

Cheers
Alex
Old 03-25-2022, 06:34 PM
spooky69
Racer

Originally Posted by Alexd912
I might have to ask later, but what needs shaving off?

Cheers
Alex
When you take the door check strap mechanism apart there are two rubber parts each side of the arm that apply pressure. You shave down the edge of each one just slightly. There is a guide on here somewhere (I think it was on here).
Old 03-28-2022, 01:30 AM
Alexd912
Racer

When you take the door check strap mechanism apart there are two rubber parts each side of the arm that apply pressure. You shave down the edge of each one just slightly. There is a guide on here somewhere (I think it was on here).
Hey,

So they have some system inside to slow the door a little when opening then with those rubber parts?

My drivers side is also broken and as mentioned the material has some "elastic" (not sure if that's the right term) property so plastic PLA would not give the same effect.

I am just wondering as a temporary fix that I could use some very dense rubber there till I order new ones.

Im going to fit the reinforcement plates at the same time, but for this summer driving season I think it will be OK.

Cheers

Alex
Old 03-30-2022, 09:39 AM
spooky69
Racer

Originally Posted by Alexd912
Hey,

So they have some system inside to slow the door a little when opening then with those rubber parts?

My drivers side is also broken and as mentioned the material has some "elastic" (not sure if that's the right term) property so plastic PLA would not give the same effect.

I am just wondering as a temporary fix that I could use some very dense rubber there till I order new ones.

Im going to fit the reinforcement plates at the same time, but for this summer driving season I think it will be OK.

Cheers

Alex
They provide resistance and clamp the mechanism where the notches are, but as a consequence provide resistance through the range of motion. Without a very slight adjustment to them the resistance is quite significant and puts some strain on the inner skin. I think the reinforcement kits are a good option to repair and a good preventative option.
Old 03-30-2022, 02:44 PM
Alexd912
Racer

They provide resistance and clamp the mechanism where the notches are, but as a consequence provide resistance through the range of motion. Without a very slight adjustment to them the resistance is quite significant and puts some strain on the inner skin. I think the reinforcement kits are a good option to repair and a good preventative option.
Cheers for your comments.
Our 3D printer at work is out of action at the moment, so maybe I will make a small hack with some rubber for now, then unless I can print something up I will replace both sides next winter.
From Rose Passion they are not sp expensive and there are other things in my shopping list

But for sure I will add that kit there to strengthen the door.

Big thanks to all for your comments.

Alex
Old 04-04-2022, 02:22 PM
Alexd912
Racer

So I decided to make a temp fix to the door stops till I can either print a new part or buy new ones, which I would rather not do just for a piece of plastic..

The drivers door also had the same part broken.

I ended up taking it to part and using some thick rubber.

I had some round bar that I cut and filled partially down, so leaving some larger than the hole.

Drilled the pin out

Cut some rubber and metal pin to shape

Pressed pin in

Finished

It's not pretty but just hope it will last for a while.

Cheers for all your help and guys.

Alex
The following 2 users liked this post by Alexd912:
No_snivelling (04-05-2022), spooky69 (04-10-2022)
Old 07-20-2024, 10:25 AM
rituxumab
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am jumping on this thread because it's relatively recent activity, even though my mystery parts aren't door related, and were found in my new-to-me 996 ('05 Turbo S Cabriolet):

I found two of these in the frunk, sitting loose. I've looked all over for a hole to accept the the expansion posts, but nothing is missing anywhere. The car is in excellent condition with 20k miles.

the part markings are Porsche --

any ideas? thanks
Old 07-21-2024, 05:30 AM
TakeFour
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I have an idea..............................................ask in the 996 forum?
Old 07-21-2024, 09:17 AM
rituxumab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TakeFour
I have an idea..............................................ask in the 996 forum?
thanks.
instead of a new thread I looked for existing threads playing “what’s the part” game to find others who like doing that.
also the piece isn’t highly machined metal, rather injection molded plastic/nylon and likely covers more than 996.

I cannot find anything on my vehicle that is missing a spacer or standoff like this. Maybe it was something left over from original delivery?
Old 07-22-2024, 12:11 AM
rituxumab
Rennlist Member

Answered elsewhere- Front license plate standoffs.

Quick Reply: Unknown plastic part found in the passenger door