Sponsored by:

Radio antenna help

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2022, 04:39 PM
Alexd912
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Radio antenna help

Since I got the car I could not get any radio stationed tuned in and while cleaning the car today I found this box that seems to convert the cars Antenna to a type that the Continental radio can use.

The box has a wire that looks like it may have been connected somewhere at some point.

Now I read that there is amplifier for the windscreen antenna. The Porsches antenna cable has a wire coming from it and that seems to be wired to the stereo.

So my question is, should that wire coming from the small box be powered?

Cheers
Alex

Old 03-14-2022, 04:25 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 258 Posts

This is probaly a FM antenna amplifier, fitted by an installer with little or no knowledge of this type of vehicle. I see no need for it, since the 964 already has an antenna amplifier, placed under the windscreen in the frunk.
Using two amps will probably only introduce extra noise or other problems.
The original antenna amplifier indeed needs a power supply, connected to the apprpriate output on the head unit. This power supply is the thin (most often white) wire bundled along the coaxial cable.
The original coax connector plugs directly into the Conti, just pull out the adapter first.
Cheers,
Tore

Old 03-14-2022, 06:11 AM
Alexd912
Racer

Originally Posted by ToreB
This is probaly a FM antenna amplifier, fitted by an installer with little or no knowledge of this type of vehicle. I see no need for it, since the 964 already has an antenna amplifier, placed under the windscreen in the frunk.
Using two amps will probably only introduce extra noise or other problems.
The original antenna amplifier indeed needs a power supply, connected to the apprpriate output on the head unit. This power supply is the thin (most often white) wire bundled along the coaxial cable.
The original coax connector plugs directly into the Conti, just pull out the adapter first.
Cheers,
Tore

Hey Tore,

Big thanks for your reply and I will check to see if there is power on the Porsche Antenna side as I can see that cable joining to another thin wire as well that I presume goes to the Conti radio.

I wonder did someone connect that box/ amplifier as well and I pulled that out when I had my head under the dash.

Maybe I can find just a converter cable with no amplifier in it.

Lets see how I get on and thanks again.

Alex
Old 03-14-2022, 09:30 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,305 Posts

It looks as though in the picture the unit can be bypassed. You should be able to remove the plug from the factory amp that is plugged into the aftermarket amp and plug it directly into the radio input. The factory antenna amp is located in the upper right hand side under the dash. The antenna connects to the amp via a special connection from the windscreen. These connections can get damaged and if pulled away can break free from the windshield. I would check all of these as well. The antenna amp has its own fuse in the fusebox AFAIK.
Old 03-14-2022, 02:56 PM
Alexd912
Racer

So I think I found where the wire came from which was +12v line that came on with the ignition.

After connecting that I managed to tune the radio in.

Its a bit of a bids nest under there with choc blocks for the radio as they by passed the amplifier.

Actually I noticed while cleaning that some wires had been disconnected from the amp under the passenger seat.

Not sure if its worth putting back to original or just leave it disconnected.

Cheers for all your help.

Alex
Old 03-14-2022, 02:57 PM
Alexd912
Racer

Originally Posted by cobalt
It looks as though in the picture the unit can be bypassed. You should be able to remove the plug from the factory amp that is plugged into the aftermarket amp and plug it directly into the radio input. The factory antenna amp is located in the upper right hand side under the dash. The antenna connects to the amp via a special connection from the windscreen. These connections can get damaged and if pulled away can break free from the windshield. I would check all of these as well. The antenna amp has its own fuse in the fusebox AFAIK.
Did not think of checking a fuse there..

I will look tomorrow.

Cheers again.

Alex

Quick Reply: Radio antenna help