Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks @uli1266 - that's very useful.
Old 02-21-2022, 01:09 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by spooky69
Thanks for the detail @John McM

Were the ramps simple to make to give them sufficient strength?
Yes, relatively easy. I had a lumber shop cut a plywood sheet in half and then built support out of timber

The following users liked this post:
spooky69 (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 01:15 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

The supplier of the lift that I first mentioned and provided dimensions for has kindly provided some pictures. It does have the pins shown on the diagram that restrict the range of motion. The dimensions would appear to potentially be ok though? I'm asking as I can get a bit of a discount on it equivalent to around 200 USD, so not a big deal but worth saving if possible.

Does someone happen to know the distance between the left and right jack points?
Your potential lift and mine differ in that the mounting points for the arms in mine can move on slots. Yours appear fixed.

That’s important because if they are too close then the angle of the arm can mean the overhang interferes with the tyre i.e. the arm catches the tyre so when you lift the car, the arm is pushing against the tyre. That means the wheel can’t be removed.

LimeyBoy (03-17-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 03:49 PM
spooky69
Racer

Originally Posted by John McM
Your potential lift and mine differ in that the mounting points for the arms in mine can move on slots. Yours appear fixed.

That’s important because if they are too close then the angle of the arm can mean the overhang interferes with the tyre i.e. the arm catches the tyre so when you lift the car, the arm is pushing against the tyre. That means the wheel can’t be removed.
Thanks for that. It seems a less common construction than others I have seen, which tend to operate in the way you mentioned regarding the slots and movement. I have not bought the one I pictured - the supplier provided the pictures. I am not quite sure why it has been designed with what seems to be quite a limited range of motion and positioning options. Other options are obviously available - I just had a decent price on this.

Thanks for the pictures of your ramps construction - very helpful.
John McM (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 03:51 PM
bw-porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Hi John. I’ve been a longtime follower of your posts, and you’re brilliant! On the current subject of scissor lifts take a look at www.cartar.com.au for a great design - a scissor lift that you can move around! Don’t know the cost as they don’t quote prices! Also www.cartar.com.eu for spooky!
John McM (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 04:07 PM
spooky69
Racer

Originally Posted by John McM

Actually, now I am totally confused... The picture they sent me with the tape measure for dimensions is completely different to the picture on their website, which has the arms mounted at the ends in the usual way. The diagram from the beginning of this thread matches the pictures they sent me.

Based on the pictures they sent rather than the above picture from their website I think it's not the one (or two) one for me.
Old 02-21-2022, 08:28 PM
spooky69
Racer

Out of curiosity I contacted the Bendpak people in the EU about their version of the mid-rise scissor lift. Listed on their site for 2,950 Euros plus tax. A new shipment is arriving shortly for the bargain price of 3,850 Euros plus tax. I know things are going up in price, shipping costs, etc, but that's crazy. I'm investigating some other options around here but I think the mid-rise seems the best option.
Old 02-21-2022, 10:00 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bw-porsche
Hi John. I’ve been a longtime follower of your posts, and you’re brilliant! On the current subject of scissor lifts take a look at www.cartar.com.au for a great design - a scissor lift that you can move around! Don’t know the cost as they don’t quote prices! Also www.cartar.com.eu for spooky!
Thanks. I got a warning on the link for some reason so searched for Cartar. An interesting concept. You can supposedly move my lift but it is super heavy so I decided to build the ramps and leave it in place. I’m not sure it would work for a private garage as we never have enough space.
Old 02-22-2022, 05:15 AM
spooky69
Racer

I had the same issue with the link - security warnings - and so I did a search. I think the design is interesting but looks like it would make access worse than the standard scissor lift.

Ferdus got back to me and confirmed that it will not fit the 964 - you were right @John McM
Old 02-22-2022, 02:43 PM
LOMartin
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Here is another option for you. It’s a Twin-Busch low rise. It’s portable and easy to move with the included wheel kit. Only requires 110/low power.

it’s part of my two lift plan. This for detailing and a two post for general mechanical work in the future.

Though it has been a great lift for engine and transmission work. Enough room to drop an engine if needed.

6600 pound capacity. I believe it was $2400shipped 4years back.

spooky69 (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 03:22 PM
spooky69
Racer

Originally Posted by LOMartin
Here is another option for you. It’s a Twin-Busch low rise. It’s portable and easy to move with the included wheel kit. Only requires 110/low power.

it’s part of my two lift plan. This for detailing and a two post for general mechanical work in the future.

Though it has been a great lift for engine and transmission work. Enough room to drop an engine if needed.

6600 pound capacity. I believe it was $2400shipped 4years back.
I have been looking at these types of lifts this evening. They seem like a good option as well.

Are there any particular pros or cons between the two types of lifts? I don't have enough headroom to sit under the car anyway in the current garage.
Old 02-23-2022, 06:11 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Out of curiosity I contacted the Bendpak people in the EU about their version of the mid-rise scissor lift. Listed on their site for 2,950 Euros plus tax. A new shipment is arriving shortly for the bargain price of 3,850 Euros plus tax. I know things are going up in price, shipping costs, etc, but that's crazy. I'm investigating some other options around here but I think the mid-rise seems the best option.
Crazy prices. At the equivalent of just over €1,900 plus delivery in the UK (what I paid), you wonder if it works out cheaper to buy in the UK and have it transported to you. The website suggests you can choose a delivery country.

What I will say about the first red one with the fixed pivot points for the arm (no slots), is I like the 'finer' graduations you have have of arm swing (instead of locking pin holes). Also I like the the way the these pivot locks engage/disengage when raised and when flat. I had to faff around a bit with mine and make some custom adjustments to get them to 'unlock' fully when flat.
Old 02-23-2022, 06:56 AM
spooky69
Racer

Originally Posted by LM964
Crazy prices. At the equivalent of just over €1,900 plus delivery in the UK (what I paid), you wonder if it works out cheaper to buy in the UK and have it transported to you. The website suggests you can choose a delivery country.

What I will say about the first red one with the fixed pivot points for the arm (no slots), is I like the 'finer' graduations you have have of arm swing (instead of locking pin holes). Also I like the the way the these pivot locks engage/disengage when raised and when flat. I had to faff around a bit with mine and make some custom adjustments to get them to 'unlock' fully when flat.
Importing from the UK would get VAT plus import duty plus delivery costs - it would not be worthwhile.

There's a similar version to the red one in Belgium and I am waiting for them to confirm if it would work with the 964.

http://www.jemaautolifte.com/eu/products/JA2.8Mini/144

It seems to be open at both ends and the price is good, although delivery might kill it.

And there's the twin ramp option as well.

Last edited by spooky69; 02-23-2022 at 06:57 AM.
Old 02-23-2022, 07:04 AM
LOMartin
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

The only thought I have with your referenced style of lift is to ensure that your vehicle will clear the 135mm hight and leave enough room to maneuver the arms.
Old 02-23-2022, 07:10 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Importing from the UK would get VAT plus import duty plus delivery costs - it would not be worthwhile.
Good point - forgot about flippin Brexit!

Quick Reply: Scissor Lift Dimensions