Sponsored by:

Taillight question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2022, 12:17 PM
playswithcars
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Taillight question

Hi, I'm a 996 owner myself but I've been asked to modify a set of taillight by a 964 owner. Since the 964 taillights are relatively small compared to the 996/7, there is no room for LED drivers in or on the housing.
Does anyone have a picture of what the taillight cavity looks like with the light removed? I'm wondering if I the LED drivers could be placed in that cavity or perhaps inside the engine compartment if there is a conduit.
Thanks in advance!
Old 01-23-2022, 12:27 PM
sooner964
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Not sure if the goal is to make something entirely new, but I’ve been using Bergvill F/x’s LED light kit on my car for several years and it’s been great. The LED bulbs are direct replacements for the stock bulbs. The only additional modification needed is wiring in their smart ballast for the brake lights.

https://www.bergvillfx.com/products/...led-kit-us-red

I’ll have to look to see if I have a picture with the center reflector removed, but here’s the two corner lamps removed:

Left rear corner

Right rear corner

Last edited by sooner964; 01-23-2022 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-23-2022, 02:48 PM
playswithcars
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sooner964
Not sure if the goal is to make something entirely new, but I’ve been using Bergvill F/x’s LED light kit on my car for several years and it’s been great. The LED bulbs are direct replacements for the stock bulbs. The only additional modification needed is wiring in their smart ballast for the brake lights.

https://www.bergvillfx.com/products/...led-kit-us-red

I’ll have to look to see if I have a picture with the center reflector removed, but here’s the two corner lamps removed:

Left rear corner

Right rear corner
Awesome, thank you so much!
I'm doing something a bit more involved, with LED halo strips. Similar to this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...aillights.html
Planning on doing an LED continuous outline of the entire taillight, in three intensities: running, brake and blink.
Looks like there may be room for the drivers against the back of the cavity. They are roughly 2.5"x1.5"x1" and there's two per side.
If not I'd have to snake wires through that grommet and place them behind the cavity. Do those wires lead to the engine compartment, or is that area inside the rear fender well?
also, what on earth are those white hoses for??

Last edited by playswithcars; 01-23-2022 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-23-2022, 03:14 PM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

I doubt they will fit, its pretty tight in there

White hoses are vents to stop the lights condensation build up.................they dont work

Old 01-23-2022, 07:34 PM
sooner964
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

You're welcome, hope this helps a little!

Sounds like a cool project, good luck! I'll be curious to see what you come up with.

I'm not entirely certain where the wiring harness goes as the PET isn't exactly clear, but from visual inspection I don't think they run through the engine compartment.

If you're looking for space for the drivers, you might have more luck behind the center reflector. Here's an image from a thread about a rear reflector substitution panel that shows whats behind the reflector.
Old 01-23-2022, 08:34 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 399 Posts

The harness in the right tail light extends down into the bumper to power the lights on either side of the license plate. You can mount the drivers in the crash bar.
Old 01-23-2022, 08:57 PM
playswithcars
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sooner964
You're welcome, hope this helps a little!

Sounds like a cool project, good luck! I'll be curious to see what you come up with.

I'm not entirely certain where the wiring harness goes as the PET isn't exactly clear, but from visual inspection I don't think they run through the engine compartment.

If you're looking for space for the drivers, you might have more luck behind the center reflector. Here's an image from a thread about a rear reflector substitution panel that shows whats behind the reflector.
Z

Thanks, this is super helpful! Installing a continuous red halo strip across both taillights AND the center reflector is another project I've been meaning to investigate. This picture helps a lot. There is much more room behind the 964 reflector than there is behind a 996 C4S!!!

Originally Posted by Foxman
The harness in the right tail light extends down into the bumper to power the lights on either side of the license plate. You can mount the drivers in the crash bar.
That's awesome info and a great idea, thanks!

Quick Reply: Taillight question