Interior code YA vs QB

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 05:42 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Interior code YA vs QB

Hi Guys,

Jeff from the 968 forum with a question for you that I wondered if someone might know.

I'm trying to figure out the difference, if there is one, between interior codes YA and QB.

I know YA is a full leather interior in cashmere/black. However, I came across a 968 with interior code QB. I did not have this code in my documentation. When I saw the car it also appears to be full leather in cashmere/black. The car is a 1992.

Does anyone have any information on code QB???

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2022, 08:54 PM
Sarawak
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff968
Hi Guys,

Jeff from the 968 forum with a question for you that I wondered if someone might know.

I'm trying to figure out the difference, if there is one, between interior codes YA and QB.

I know YA is a full leather interior in cashmere/black. However, I came across a 968 with interior code QB. I did not have this code in my documentation. When I saw the car it also appears to be full leather in cashmere/black. The car is a 1992.

Does anyone have any information on code QB???

Thanks!
For Model Year 1992 968:
YA= Leather interior Cashmere Beige/Black with seats All Leather Front and Rear
QB= Leather interior Cashmere Beige/Black with seats Partial Leather Front, Leatherette Rear
LG= Leatherette interior Cashmere Beige/Black with seats All Leather Front and Rear
LC= Leatherette interior Cashmere Beige/Black with seats Partial Leather Front, Leatherette Rear

Last edited by Sarawak; 01-13-2022 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:18 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sarawak
For Model Year 1992 968:
YA= Leather interior Cashmere Beige/Black with seats All Leather Front and Rear
QB= Leather interior Cashmere Beige/Black with seats Partial Leather Front, Leatherette Rear
LG= Leatherette interior Cashmere Beige/Black with seats All Leather Front and Rear
LC= Leatherette interior Cashmere Beige/Black with seats Partial Leather Front, Leatherette Rear
Thanks, but what is the difference between QB and LC based on your description? I've seen pics of the QB interior and it looks like YA (full leather). I'm thinking it is another code for cashmere/black full leather but I don't have any other interior codes like this. A mystery. Thx
Old 01-18-2022, 10:24 AM
Sarawak
Track Day

Thanks, but what is the difference between QB and LC based on your description? I've seen pics of the QB interior and it looks like YA (full leather). I'm thinking it is another code for cashmere/black full leather but I don't have any other interior codes like this. A mystery. Thx
QB and YA= Leather Interior (dashboard bottom section, glove compartment lid, center console, cassette tape holder lid, door panels and door handles/armrests in Cashmere Beige genuine leather)
LC and LG= Leatherette Interior (all parts described above in Cashmere Beige synthetic leather-look material)
For both QB and LC: Seat system Partial Leather Front (leather seating surface only) and Leatherette Rear in Cashmere Beige
For both YA and LG: Seat system All Leather Front and Rear in Cashmere Beige
For QB, LC, YA and LG: Dashboard top section, roofliner, A & B pillars, sunvisors and door window sills in Black leatherette; Steering wheel rim Black leather; Carpeting Cashmere Beige.

Here are the other Model Year 1992 968 codes for Leather Interiors with seats Partial Leather Front and Leatherette Rear:
FY= Marine Blue
NY= Black
NZ= Light Grey/Black
QG= Classic Grey
QL= Light Grey/Classic Grey
QN= Cobalt Blue
QU= Light Grey/Cobalt Blue
QV= Magenta
TY= Light Grey/Magenta

Last edited by Sarawak; 01-18-2022 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:06 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Very interesting. Thank you.

So it appears that QB is a variation I have never heard of before where you get MOST of the YA full leather interior with the exception of the seats, where you get the LC partial leather in the front and full leatherette in the rear. Wow.

I have done much research on this area and have documented it here:

968 interior materials

Of the 4,242 North American 968s, only 2 have code QB and I have no other examples of this hybrid variation in any other colors (the other codes you listed above). The other 4,240 all fall into full leather, full leather seats only, partial leather, or the various cloth offerings.

Thank you for clearing this up for me. BTW, do you know what the retail cost was on this interior option?

Last edited by jeff968; 01-19-2022 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:02 PM
Sarawak
Track Day

Very interesting. Thank you.

So it appears that QB is a variation I have never heard of before where you get MOST of the YA full leather interior with the exception of the seats, where you get the LC partial leather in the front and full leatherette in the rear. Wow.

I have done much research on this area and have documented it here:

968 interior materials

Of the 4,242 North American 968s, only 2 have code QB and I have no other examples of this hybrid variation in any other colors (the other codes you listed above). The other 4,240 all fall into full leather, full leather seats only, partial leather, or the various cloth offerings.

Thank you for clearing this up for me. BTW, do you know what the retail cost was on this interior option?
Glad that the additional information helped to advance your understanding of interior code QB.
The Model Year 1992 968 retail price for the optional Leather Interior with seats Partial Leather Front was $2,901. for both coupe and cabriolet.

Thank you for creating and maintaining your comprehensive database of 968 information for North America. I am sure it has been a resource of great benefit to many former and current owners.

Perhaps the moderators should move this thread to the 968 area?

Last edited by Sarawak; 01-19-2022 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:54 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

The interior codes are the same across the model lines. That is why I posted the question here as I knew we have some dedicated Porsche fans in the 964 group who might know the answer. Thank you for that.
Interesting on the price as the leather seats only was $1,957 in 92.
Do you know if the leather interior with partial leather seats option was offered beyond the 1992 model year? As I indicated earlier, I only have two recorded and both are 92s. And there is NO mention of this option in any of the period sales literature.
Thanks
Old 01-20-2022, 02:33 AM
Sarawak
Track Day

Unfortunately, I cannot confirm availability of the optional interior configuration Leather Interior with Partial Leather Front Seats beyond Model Year 1992.

At the time, this combination of interior materials was unique to the 968; there were no equivalent configurations for the 911 and 928 models. Its existence is an artifact of the specific order code lexicon used when submitting the predecessor 944 model factory orders for compatibility with the production information management system at Audi's Neckarsulm facility. Unlike the Porsche interior order code system of the period, wherein the characteristics of the interior color and material distribution were primarily expressed by a two-character alphabetic or numeric ordering code, the 944 interiors were further identified using M-number option codes. As an example, the most popular selection, Partial Leather Front Seats in Black, would require the familiar LT order code and, in addition, the M946 optional equipment code to request the partial leather front seats. If one desired All Leather Front and Rear Seats, again using Black as the example color, the order code VN would be paired with M983. To order Leather Interior Trim (dashboard lower section, glove compartment lid, center console, cassette tape holder lid, door panels and door handles/armrests in genuine leather), M981 was used and combination was permitted with M946 or M983. All Cloth Seats were selected by specifying M990. When Porsche established 968 production at their own factory, because the 968 shared its basic interior architecture with the 944, the relevant legacy interior material combinations were assigned unique identifiers reflecting the revised 968 color range, QB et al., within the Porsche order code system and the use of M-numbers to specify optional interior materials for the 968 was discontinued, with one exception: M526, Door Panels in Cloth.

Last edited by Sarawak; 01-20-2022 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-20-2022, 03:02 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Great information Sarawak and thank you again for it. What I have found is that as we move into the later years of Porsche production that they utilized the 5 digit interior codes (not sure what they are called) to handle special options. For example, I have a 93 coupe which has code 14081 ( or it could be 16471) to get leather door pulls only in the interior.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:34 PM
Sarawak
Track Day

The five-digit codes found under the "Z-Orders" heading in a detailed vehicle configuration report have been a source of fascination and frustration for those Porsche fans interested in the minutiae of the vehicle ordering and production system. Some are used for specifying deviations when ordering and others are internal codes generated and updated after the order is received to provide instruction to the factory personnel regarding assembly processes, vehicle movements, component procurement and availability, color and material deviations, workflow timing and other information. Therefore they can only be understood in the context of the specific production order they reference. Sometimes, the descriptive text next to the code number is nothing more than a reminder to the responsible team member to check the production management system for further details.

Last edited by Sarawak; 01-21-2022 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:10 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Awesome stuff Sarawak, you are a wealth of production information. You will note on my site I have captured and confirmed a number of the 5 digit codes but I'm sure they are just a small number of what was available. Thank you for your help.

Quick Reply: Interior code YA vs QB