Sponsored by:

Engine oil...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 05:00 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by SR20Fastback
Not sure if you were keen to this, but after Brad Penn sold/rebranded, they changed their formula and I believe lowered the ZDDP fairly substantially. You may want to have another look at the levels before you commit again
I can't believe I'm breaking my rule about posting in an oil thread, but worth nothing that this statement has been pretty well refuted. For anyone not certain, here is a great paper from BP that addresses all the rumors with hard data: https://penngrade1.com/performance-p...nal-green-oil/
The following 2 users liked this post by darylbowden:
964Luftballoon (12-17-2021), SR20Fastback (12-17-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 05:30 PM
spooky69
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by darylbowden
I can't believe I'm breaking my rule about posting in an oil thread, but worth nothing that this statement has been pretty well refuted. For anyone not certain, here is a great paper from BP that addresses all the rumors with hard data: https://penngrade1.com/performance-p...nal-green-oil/
Well it's not as bad as cable threads in HiFi discussions. So far...
Old 12-16-2021, 10:37 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 428 Likes on 278 Posts

I agree with a lot of what has been said.

For myself, i don't rebuild motors...but i talk to guys that rebuild these motors, and they see what happens with certain oils and what doesn't happen with certain oils. So I'm listen to them- one of those guys told me once what oil to use...and until that formulation actually changes, that's what i use....unless Walmart is having some kid of crazy deal on Mobil 1 15/50 or Valvoline vr1 or any of the other oils that are fine...(was it last year we got those huge jugs of Mobil 1 for 14.99 plus free shipping, plus 3% back through rakuten, plus 5.25% back from Bank of America???) ...and then maybe a change to some other oil for a few months...but i generally stick to the old wise words of the greasy guy w the measuring devices discussion wear on engine parts...

(To the old greasy guy- if you are reading this, i mean no disrespect...I'm sure you aren't as greasy as in my imagination, and I'm sure the shop is way newer and way cleaner as well, lol)
Old 12-17-2021, 02:12 PM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by darylbowden

Thanks for that. Always glad to be corrected when I'm guilty of spreading incorrect info. Maybe it's time to get back on the brad penn train, I think my car leaked a little less with that than with the VR1 anyways
Old 12-20-2021, 01:30 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by SR20Fastback
Thanks for that. Always glad to be corrected when I'm guilty of spreading incorrect info. Maybe it's time to get back on the brad penn train, I think my car leaked a little less with that than with the VR1 anyways
All good. When the sale happened, there were tons of rumors flying about (hence that post they made) and in more than a couple instances people ended up switching to lesser oils, which obviously sucks. Glad to provide whatever data I can.
The following 2 users liked this post by darylbowden:
964Luftballoon (12-23-2021), SR20Fastback (12-20-2021)

Quick Reply: Engine oil...