Sponsored by:

Sheared off Tranverse Slave Cylinder Bleed Screw

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2021, 05:47 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Sheared off Tranverse Slave Cylinder Bleed Screw

So there I was humming along bleeding the world's most complicated AWD hydraulic system on my C4, following my own instructions, when I got to the traverse slave cylinder, and lord knows what I did (lefty loosee, righty tighty), but I sheared off the bleed screw. No fluid is leaking so the bleed screw is fully seated. Now the question is how to remove the remaining bleed screw without damaging the sealing surface in the cylinder.

I have a couple of screw extraction tools but I don't think I will get the torque I need. My thinking is to get a reverse threaded tap, followed by a reverse threaded bolt, then let the bolt bottom out and then it should twist out with the bolt. Any other ideas? I don't think drilling it out will help in that the bleed screw is under tension right now as it is fully seated in the cylinder.

Oh, I already have a new slave cylinder installed, this is now my spare, that I would like to repair.

Last edited by RicardoD; 09-25-2021 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-25-2021, 06:04 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 428 Likes on 278 Posts

Heat and a screw extractor.

I have new seal kits available. Once you hit that with heat you'll need new seals...so don't worry!

Let me know.

Fwiw, i replaced all my bleeders with stainless speed bleeders. The wrench size goes from 7mm to 8mm...and the bleeder itself is a bit higher quality.
Old 09-25-2021, 06:23 PM
No_snivelling
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 137 Posts

I like to drill them out. I file or grind the face flat and then carefully drill it without going too deep or too big in diameter. The drill will follow the hole so you won't go off center. By the time the hole gets anywhere close to the root diameter of the threads, the pressure on the threads is relieved because they collapse radially into the hole. At this point, an easy out, screwdriver or anything you can wedge in the hole will easily back it out.

If you go this route, then when choosing your drill bits don't forget that the threads are tapered so don't go too large and damage the threads in the slave body.

+1 on SS speed bleeders.
Old 09-25-2021, 06:28 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

Yes, I am thinking speed bleeders everywhere on the next go around!
The following users liked this post:
willmip (09-26-2021)
Old 09-25-2021, 07:12 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 275 Likes on 161 Posts

if you drill it out used a left hand drill bit a lot of times the piece will come out as it is drilled
The following 2 users liked this post by JohnK964:
misteralz (09-29-2021), willmip (09-26-2021)

Quick Reply: Sheared off Tranverse Slave Cylinder Bleed Screw