Sponsored by:

911 doesn't turn off when key is removed

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 03:18 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts
Default 911 doesn't turn off when key is removed

Cross posting this from the 993 section, hoping maybe someone has possibly encountered this situation before.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...s-removed.html

On my 993TT - When I turn my key back to 12 o'clock position all the accessories etc turn off. However the engine remains on. I can then pull the key out and engine still is on. This is quite intermittent as well, example yesterday I had 6 stops and #3 created the issue only. Really like a mind of it own!

I've tried lubricant and lock cleaner extensively, also poking around the back of the ignition to see if I can wiggle anything to shut the car off when the issue arises - no success.

I discovered when I got out of the car and shut the door (either door including engine lid) this turned off the car. I've tested this at least multiple times and oddly shutting the door must trigger some force to turn off the car. I'm also guessing now somehow during certain impacts while driving it must trigger it to go back to a normal state.

Any suggestions on on where to investigate next would be helpful.

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2021, 04:28 PM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

I’d imagine that the ignition switch is borked. Have you tried any other type of jostling aside from shutting a door to try stopping it?
Old 09-03-2021, 10:48 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dare I mention the dreaded Imobalizer found on 993s?
ignition switch would be my first guess.
Old 09-04-2021, 01:24 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Deserion
I’d imagine that the ignition switch is borked. Have you tried any other type of jostling aside from shutting a door to try stopping it?
Will have to test the switch as next steps. The process to access it sounds painful on the back

But nothing seems to turn it off unless a hard jolt from fairly hard door slam too.

Good news is problem is becoming less intermittent now, so every time the car doesn't shut off.

Quick Reply: 911 doesn't turn off when key is removed