Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No reverse or fifth (grinded while downshifting to first)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 06:41 PM
deep_purple
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy No reverse or fifth (grinded while downshifting to first)

Hello all,

Usually I do quite a bit of research before posting a question, but this time I'm impatient and anxious.

While downshifting to first in an autocross today I accidentally put it halfway into reverse and heard some grinding (oh man). I did not let the clutch out. Anyways, after screwing up the downshift I put it in second and finished the course.

Afterwards I could not put it in reverse or fifth. Initially I had problems with 3rd and 4th as well, but I could use those gears afterwards. I quickly checked Adrian's book and it seems like reverse and 5th are on the same rod/piece in the transmission.

I can pull the gear lever to the left (albeit with some difficulty), but I cannot push it forward to engage reverse. If the engine is running it grinds when I apply pressure forward.

Any ideas how screwed up the transmission is? Could it be the linkage (gear shift rod), or did I damage the transmission?

I realize that this is not a lot of information, but a few search attempts did not result in good info. I'll read, do some research, and post back. In the meantime, I'll be very happy to hear what people think.

Cheers,
ST
Old 04-10-2004, 07:01 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The only way to check it out is to have a look. My guess is that you have damaged the transmission however you are going to have to disassemble things and starting at the gear stick work you way back.
I wish I could be of more help but these things require the up front and personal touch.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 04-13-2004, 08:43 PM
deep_purple
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick update and request for shop recommendations.

Adrian, you were correct. The problem is in the transmission. My mechanic drained the oil and there was some small brass pieces, but nothing big. To learn what really is wrong the transmission will have to come down.

I have started calling different shops that people recommended to get a range of estimates. I'm aware that the range of possible repair bills is wide, but I would like to do some research before paying my most expensive repair bill so far.

While the transmission is down I will ask them to check the type of flywheel I have. I haven't had any problems, but I do not know if the PO has replaced the flywheel. I will also ask them to check the condition of the clutch.

Are there any other things that I should ask?

Can people recommend any shops in the Bay Area for transmission work? In addition to my regular mechanic I'm looking into AkkuratPGI in Redwood City and a couple other places.

Let's see how this will go,
ST
Old 04-14-2004, 04:49 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes I would check the part number of the thrust/release/pivot bearing and also the part number of the clutch fork. Replace them with
Fork p/no 950 116 086 06 and bearing p/no 950 116 080 07 or 08.
This will avoid future clutch problems.
I suspect the brass bits are the synchros you ground off.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 04-14-2004, 12:20 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most frequently recommended shop I've seen in SF for Porsche is "The Stable." I am not a client however!

Good luck!

Quick Reply: No reverse or fifth (grinded while downshifting to first)