Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor radio reception - Blaupunkt Symphony?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 11:56 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Poor radio reception - Blaupunkt Symphony?

First gripe about my new car - the radio reception is rubbish!! I've checked the aerial & it seems to be plugged in OK at the back of the stereo. Is this a common problem & does anyone know how to fix it?

Cheers!!

Andy
Old 04-09-2004, 12:16 PM
WilsonAnderson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andy,

Does your antenna run in the windshield, or do you run a mast antenna?

Personally, my 91 C4 runs the antenna thru the windshield and it is rubbish. I replaced my Blaupunkt Stuttgart tape player with a Sony head unit and no better reception.

I was thinking about running a new mast antenna cable thru the front "fire wall" and mount a new mast antenna inside the front trunk, out of sight.

I think the radio reception is a by product of the antenna in my car. I just can't stand the thought of drilling a hole in a body panel for a antenna.

Take care,
Wil Anderson
Old 04-09-2004, 01:06 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Andy,
All 964s have internal windshield antennas so you have to start there. If you look at your dash, to the far right where it meets the windshield you should see a little yellow tag. This is the windshield antenna connector. This is hooked to a thin piece of coax cable. This coax will go to a small unpowered antenna amplifier and then a larger coax cable comes out of this to the radio. The most common problem is that the connection from the windshield is broken.
There are numerous options for the radio system. I advise you to check under the right seat and have a look if you have a radio booster fitted. Then check fuse 38.
This job requires getting into the 964, checking fuse and following wires. Most of it is all under the dash so laying down and looking up with a torch (flashlight) is required.
Ciao,
Adrian.
964C4
Old 04-09-2004, 02:14 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cheers!

Thanks for the replies. I've had a good look, & the window aerial seems to be connected OK. I've only got one large unit installed under the right seat - 928 part number with 2 plugs coming out of it, one of them yellow- (thinking alarm unit!)

Decided to pull the radio out to check the wiring behind & noticed the following loose plugs - should they be plugged into anything??

The second plug looks as though it should plug onto the radio's mounting harness?

Thanks!!
Old 04-09-2004, 04:29 PM
ian c - u.k

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that should be to positive
Old 04-09-2004, 06:28 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have found that most cars that run the windshild antenna's are usually not that great in reception. My 91 is no exception....
Old 04-09-2004, 10:37 PM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I seem to recall that when I replaced my head unit I experienced terrible radio reception. The cure was to supply power to the antenna amplifier thru the 8 pin din connector.
Unfortunately I can't remember which pin it was.
If you need me to, I can see if I can find it on the web. I think I got the din connector pin-outs from a 944 site.

Quick Reply: Poor radio reception - Blaupunkt Symphony?