Sponsored by:

Installing rear seats in RSA?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 06:56 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing rear seats in RSA?

I'm flirting with the idea of purchasing my friends '93 Guards Red RSA. But not being able to take the little ones to school because of no rear seats will prevent my other half from agreeing with me. So the question is, "Is it possible and financially feasible to install rear seats in a RSA?" Any comments, suggestions will be much appreciated.

Old 04-08-2004, 07:20 PM
JoeW
Pro

In the later production cars, the storage unit was actually left out and "seats" were installed, but not the units you're thinking of from the std. C2 I think. THese were more basic, lightly padded and small areas fitting into the seat areas. In mine, even those have been removed. But there are indentations in the shelf (and a carpet patch is sold to fit the area) and I see no reason you shouldn't be able to find some of these seats which would be alright for the kiddos short term use.

You might try contacting KeithV at http://www.rsamerica.net as he understandably knows an awful lot about these cars.

The bigger issue will be getting belts back there -- the same base as the C2 is there to use, but you wouldn't want to forget about it. Joe W.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:46 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

It would be a lot of work to do it since the welded on brackets necessary are removed at the factory and not available as separate pieces.

If the kids are small one could ask them to sit on the carpet in the "bun pockets" that are left when the luggage shelf is removed. A little uncomfortable but kids are adaptable for short trips.

The seat belts would have to be installed and this would require installation of the central belt bolt holes, the lateral holes are already there for sure and I think the holes for a 3 point are still drilled and tapped hidden under the bulkhead carpet.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:58 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

I am all too familar with the rear seat requirement and the wife issue . . . Kind of hard to ask for another car when the whole family cannot enjoy.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:34 PM
JoeW
Pro

Just occurred to me, and something else perhaps to think about tho a bit OT: will your wife drive this? If so, will she be a charmed as you by the lack of power steering? Joe W.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:36 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the info guys! I will be inspecting the car sometime next week and will take a closer look at the mounting points for the 3 point belts and possible install of rear seats or a booster seat. Meanwhile I'll call around to find the costs for the seats, belts, and hardware. Got to put all the numbers together before I present it to my CFO for approval.

Joe, My wife wouldn't be driving this car. She doesn't even want to drive my C2 Tip. Which is why I've been keeping an eye out for a possible upgrade. She thinks that I'm going through mid life crisis with all these fascination for classic Porsche.

Old 04-09-2004, 10:49 AM
RogerJ
Instructor

I went through this a few years ago and gathered up the parts but never actually installed them. The seatbelt mounts are there. In fact the "shelf" uses the inboard seatbelt mounts for the bolts that hold the shelf in place. The shoulder harness mounts are also there. If appearence is an issue, you will need the interior trim piece that fits over belt reels and the speakers. The entire area is carpeted under the "shelf" and my plan was to just have the kids sit in the pocket and not install the seat bottom or back. The seat bottom would be easy it install as it is just glued in place. The back, however, will take some fabricating because as Cupcar indicates, the brackets for it are not there.

I took the easy way out and bought a 996 which has plenty of room for the urchins <G>.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:17 PM
JoeW
Pro

Peter, I found the picture I was thinking of in the RSA Registry faq:

Inspiration? Joe W.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:39 AM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by JoeW
Peter, I found the picture I was thinking of in the RSA Registry faq:

Inspiration? Joe W.
Wow, so it is possible.........I'm really inspired now. This picture will come handy should I meet resistance from my wife. Thanks Joe for the great pic!

Quick Reply: Installing rear seats in RSA?