Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mechanic reports UPGRADE TO ALTERNATOR PULLEY?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 12:08 AM
jasonbu64
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanic reports UPGRADE TO ALTERNATOR PULLEY?

Whats the word on an updated alternator pulley, is this guy pully my chain? My old belt shredded of and he put on a new one for about$90, now wants to "update" with new pulley (another 150). So is this real or another money pit? Can this be done at home by me? Are there anymore of these "updates" to be on the lookout for?
Old 04-08-2004, 03:05 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Jason,
During the life of any automobile and even afterwards parts are improved or replaced and older parts are discontinued because a newer part say 993 or 996 fullfils the requirement of same form fit and function.
However your mechanic? is pulling your chain. What he is doing is using the part number change to try and tell you that the part is better and will avoid a situation in the future.
You only replace parts if the part you have is damaged.
The only updated part which should be installed is the clutch fork for early 964s. There are no "Official Updates" outside of the issued Technical Service Bulletins or the "Voluntary Recall Notices".
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 04-08-2004, 01:13 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can update your pulley to the RS style to reduce the number of belts. I've removed my AC and updated the pulley so I have only 1 belt to worry about breaking/changing. It's far from a necessary update but convenient for a track car.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:33 PM
jasonbu64
Instructor

Ok thanks, I was told that the "upgrade" was to stop the belts from shearing and breaking, something like "the old pulley pinches the belt, causes uneven wear and general stress of the belt and eventual disenegration of the belt". Now when the old belt broke it did disentegrate, peices went every where, and even ripped my distributor cabel of the cap closest to the belt, a little super glue there and I was good, but still a pain.
I have A/C, atleast when the heat isnt cooking me, so i cant switch to a RS pulley.
what and where is the "Voluntary Recall Notices" list?
Old 04-08-2004, 03:50 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I still have the original pulleys, and there is no record the belts have ever been changed. Dry-out and light cracking makes be believe the belts are factory original. Not bad for 14 years service, but I won't take a trip until this is fixed during the upcoming 60,000 mile service. I am not considering changing the pulleys - they look fine. If the pulleys shredded the belt, there is a serious problem. Have you checked for a bent alternator shaft? That would cause the belts to shred and break, and would also damage the pulleys in the process. It is important to get to the root cause, or you will continue to have problems. In any case, run from this "mechanic". He sounds like bad news.

What is the year/model/mileage of your car? Upgrades are a bottomless pit, but what I love about the 964 is that none are necessary for street use - they are almost perfect as-delivered. Fast, safe, reliable, comfortable, fun - what else do you want? OK, besides cheap!
Old 04-09-2004, 07:37 PM
jasonbu64
Instructor

1994 964 c2 cabrio 125,000 miles
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2004, 09:20 PM
914und993
Pro

The 993 did have a recommended pulley upgrade, but I'm not familiar enough with the details to speak expertly.

The RS pulley modification does not involve the A/C belt at all. It simply eliminates the separate alternator pulley and belt, and drives the alternator at the same speed as the engine fan. The alternator is then spinning roughly 20% slower, which reduces its output near idle.

Chip

Quick Reply: Mechanic reports UPGRADE TO ALTERNATOR PULLEY?