Sponsored by:

Car rack system

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 03:22 AM
Carreralund
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car rack system

Anyone got an ide what type of car rack (ski/bike) carriers system that fit's a 964 accept the original Porsche Tequipment? (Porsche Tequipment is very expensive!)
Old 03-31-2004, 06:45 AM
DaveGordon
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi,

Thule make a range of generic components. I believe the following are the correct parts:

2x 951 load carrier for rain gutters
2x 761 square bars - 120cm (perhaps the 108cm ones are wide enough)

After that, you can fit any of their ski/bike attachments...

Dave.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:00 AM
Carreralund
Track Day

Hi Dave!

It seem's like some people at Porsche Club Norway have tried the same Thule system you described, but they don't seem quite happy with it. Do you have any experience with Thule system on your car?
Old 03-31-2004, 10:48 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

i have used a Yakima rack ssytem on my car for tires and such - no problems (even at 90ish) it attaches to the rain gutters and is well made (i have 2 more on my other cars.
it also fits my 356...
Old 03-31-2004, 08:56 PM
Bob Krantz
Advanced

Hi guys. I have tried both and Yakima works better. The reason: the Yakima cross bars are cylinders and allow the feet (and any attachements than span the bars) to rotate to fit the rook curvature. The Thule bars are rectangular, and force the feet and attacments to be perpendicular. By the way, I mount my bars just above the leading and trailing edges of the rear window for my bike rack. It helps get the bikes down out of the slil stream a bit, and lowers the bikes enough to clear my garage door.
Bob K
1989 C4
Old 04-01-2004, 07:31 AM
DaveGordon
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi Andrew,

No - I don't have any personal experience with it - I nearly bought one this season, but have managed to get away with putting my skis inside the car, or getting a lift with someone else

I was offered a genuine Porsche job second hand, but it looked very similar to the Thule one - except 8x the price...

I believe Mr Raby has a Thule system. You could give him a prod

Cheers,
Dave.

EDIT:
Thule bars are rectangular, and force the feet and attacments to be perpendicular
...yes - that's what put me off a bit. Damned thing might take off with a snowboard attached!
Old 04-01-2004, 07:44 AM
Carreralund
Track Day

Originally posted by Bob Krantz
Hi guys. I have tried both and Yakima works better. The reason: the Yakima cross bars are cylinders and allow the feet (and any attachements than span the bars) to rotate to fit the rook curvature. Bob K
1989 C4
Does the Yakima system allow skies/snowboards to lie horisontally?

There's no one selling the Yakima system in Norway so I'll have to order it from North America, so I'll have to be sure that I will be satisfied with this system before I order it.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:50 AM
JonSeigel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a Thule system and my friend has the Yakima. Both work fine. Iwouldn't pay a lot of money to import a Yakima. I don't think it's worth it.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:25 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just spotted this thread.

I've the Thule system and have found it great for carrying a windsurfer or mountain bike, using the relevant accessories. Not sure what's meant by the perpendicular problem; I've no complaints.

Cheers
Old 04-01-2004, 07:35 PM
Bob Krantz
Advanced

Phil, what I meant was that the Thule rack system, when used with a tray type bike carrier for example, seems to force the uprights to be perpendicular to the tray, and thus both upright bases to be parallel. Great if the gutters you mount to are straight, not as good where the gutters follow the pronounced curve of the 911 roof (not rook--sorry to all for the horrible spelling). This might be more of a problem for me with the rack shifted over the rear window. I meant no disparagement of Thule; I have used variations of their ski racks for years with pleasure.
Bob K
1989 C4
Old 04-01-2004, 10:23 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

both Thule and Yakima have different heights of the rain gutter risers - i ended up with 1 pair short and 1 tall to even out the rack (luckily the nice people at REI let me switch them out)
i use the Powderhound - for both skis and snowboard
http://www.yakima.com/home.html
Old 04-02-2004, 01:32 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, my Thule system has taller risers at the rear, so the board or whatever sits level. Bike carrier works perfectly, too.

Cheers
Old 04-07-2004, 01:56 AM
Brett M
7th Gear

Here is my 89 C4 with the Thule racks and 6 place ski rack. Works well with very little wind noise. The C4 is a great mountain car!!!

Quick Reply: Car rack system