Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The hunt for a 964 - not an easy one...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 02:26 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 263 Posts

I would also consider a '94 993 build with the G50/21 short gear ratio gearbox given you are in Europe. That is the best valued air cooled 90s 911 right now IMHO and would trade my 964 for that in a heart beat.
The following 2 users liked this post by chsu74:
jcsomerv (11-01-2020), Paolo1 (11-08-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 02:59 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 358 Likes on 219 Posts

Patients is a virtue here but also a possible risk. The prices of 964's just seem to be going up and - as you noted - that fact isn't missed by most current owners. I bought a non running car that had been sitting outside for several years. It was a huge risk in terms of upside costs but the initial gamble was a fairly low bet. For me it paid off. The car is not flawless but it is now drive-able at about half of market price invested - though that is partially because I did the light lifting myself. I've seen enough of the car's blemishes to know that it is similar to many cars you've described. However, I'm in at a costs that will allow me to spend more if I want to push in the direction toward perfection while currently having a decent looking driver. I've learned that even the best 30 year old car can surprise you with quirks or failings - unless you buy a fully restored car for huge money. Even then - the expensive restomods seem to beg for attention that often only the builder will know how to address. I sold a really nice 964 8 years ago for give away money by today's standards. The replacement car will never be as nice a starting point as the car I sold. BUT - I'm falling for the replacement car because of my investment in turning the sow's ear into silk. The nice thing about 964's is you're not likely to get a rust bucket that hasn't got enough solid metal to support a suspension. I bought a dirty but solid car that needed an engine rebuild . . . . and maybe everything else mechanical so I did my initial round on the cheap with used parts to see what else wrong would pop up after the car was running. There are several gremlins that showed up but nothing major and I'll have to replace some of the used parts as I decide how far to go with the car. I will say this - to me it's been much easier to justify investing in a running car that I can enjoy between credit card swipes. Good luck with the hunt. Keep your head on a swivel - the "right" car for you might be one you've already seen or would miss if you're not looking closely.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:54 PM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by jpoint
Patients is a virtue here but also a possible risk. The prices of 964's just seem to be going up and - as you noted - that fact isn't missed by most current owners. I bought a non running car that had been sitting outside for several years. It was a huge risk in terms of upside costs but the initial gamble was a fairly low bet. For me it paid off. The car is not flawless but it is now drive-able at about half of market price invested - though that is partially because I did the light lifting myself. I've seen enough of the car's blemishes to know that it is similar to many cars you've described. However, I'm in at a costs that will allow me to spend more if I want to push in the direction toward perfection while currently having a decent looking driver. I've learned that even the best 30 year old car can surprise you with quirks or failings - unless you buy a fully restored car for huge money. Even then - the expensive restomods seem to beg for attention that often only the builder will know how to address. I sold a really nice 964 8 years ago for give away money by today's standards. The replacement car will never be as nice a starting point as the car I sold. BUT - I'm falling for the replacement car because of my investment in turning the sow's ear into silk. The nice thing about 964's is you're not likely to get a rust bucket that hasn't got enough solid metal to support a suspension. I bought a dirty but solid car that needed an engine rebuild . . . . and maybe everything else mechanical so I did my initial round on the cheap with used parts to see what else wrong would pop up after the car was running. There are several gremlins that showed up but nothing major and I'll have to replace some of the used parts as I decide how far to go with the car. I will say this - to me it's been much easier to justify investing in a running car that I can enjoy between credit card swipes. Good luck with the hunt. Keep your head on a swivel - the "right" car for you might be one you've already seen or would miss if you're not looking closely.
I very much second this advice.

The very first 964 I called about was a great deal, but I didn't know it at the time. Grey in black with 65k miles, asking $47k in late 2018.

The sooner you start your search and prepare your funds, the better.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:13 AM
lbpa18
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 43 Posts

Buy the best one you can afford and then plan on spending a minimum of another $10K because there are no perfect cars. But dang these are fun cars.
The following users liked this post:
Gmanscott (10-29-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 03:29 PM
stijn_b
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by stijn_b
This coming Sunday I'll be seeing a C4 that has 200k+ km's, all invoices since 1995, has had an impact but no visual signs or signs when driving according to the seller. The car has signs of it's age but a good detailing job will take care of most of that from what i've seen on the photos.
His asking price is also fair and gives me a lot of headroom for fixes. The owner has had it for 10y+ now.

I asked for an option until I'll go check it. Let's hope the seller keeps his word! Good feeling about it.
While I had an agreement with the seller to keep the car until I got there this weekend (6h travel time), he just sold it. Extremely dissapointed. My wife doesn't understand so I'm posting here. Damn damn damn.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:13 PM
9SIX4-C4
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 104 Posts

While I had an agreement with the seller to keep the car until I got there this weekend (6h travel time), he just sold it. Extremely dissapointed. My wife doesn't understand so I'm posting here. Damn damn damn.
it means a better car is there for you. I have had similar situations before and I also don't get it at first. Whether it's a personal sale or a dealer, without a down-payment and a signed commitment to buy, the owner have the right to do whatever they want with the car. and yes, it violates gentleman's agreements, but I learned it the hard way.

Please focus that the better/best 964 is there for you-- and you will be very happy when you get it.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:49 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Cool

Old 10-30-2020, 05:55 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 411 Posts

good luck with your search. these 964s are trading like pieces of artwork. at what point is the price silly for what you are getting and could get with other marques for same money. Although I like the 964 I don't feel you are getting much car value for current prices. Just my opinion. Totally different car but 997turbos are great cars and can be had for less than a 200 hp 964 that is sparse and creeks
just a little perspective. I have this conversation with a few friends who are looking for an SC or 964. I remember as do many on here the prices these went for not long ago.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:56 PM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

a seller who can’t keep his commitments, likely can’t key up with maintenance schedules. you’ll find the right one eventually.
Old 10-30-2020, 06:03 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
good luck with your search. these 964s are trading like pieces of artwork. at what point is the price silly for what you are getting and could get with other marques for same money. Although I like the 964 I don't feel you are getting much car value for current prices. Just my opinion. Totally different car but 997turbos are great cars and can be had for less than a 200 hp 964 that is sparse and creeks
just a little perspective. I have this conversation with a few friends who are looking for an SC or 964. I remember as do many on here the prices these went for not long ago.
Different strokes. While I see the lure of 500+ HP, there is something in a 911 that has the shape of the seminal 911 that will never be captured in the modern ones. Nostalgy has its value. Size has its value as well, the new ones are... behemoths.
I can't see myself without an original shape 911.
And the 964 has 250HP.
The following 2 users liked this post by GeorgeK:
9SIX4-C4 (10-31-2020), Sirenty (10-30-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 06:54 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 701 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
Totally different car but 997turbos are great cars and can be had for less than a 200 hp 964 that is sparse and creeks
Good thing you sold your 993tt when you did, right..?

Originally Posted by BLACK3.2
a seller who can’t keep his commitments, likely can’t key up with maintenance schedules. you’ll find the right one eventually.
It's not known if the OP made a strong commitment on the car like a deposit based on personal inspection or PPI. I doubt it. OP - when you find a 964 that meets your criteria, I highly recommend that you agree a deposit scenario with the seller that is dependent on visual inspection. If a seller is not willing to do this, walk on to the next.

Old 10-30-2020, 11:28 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

If you think you have found the right car then you should put a deposit on it contingent on it being represented accurately. There aren’t that many good examples available and with fairly strong demand I can’t blame the seller for taking a good offer rather than risking a buyer that hasn’t made any commitment.

When I bought my Targa there were three other buyers lined up, one was ready to buy cash but offered a couple thousand less than I did, the other two were non committal until they saw it. I did my due diligence, made a reasonable offer and when he accepted I wired a deposit contingent on a PPI with no major findings. Bought the car a week later after the PPI came back clean. If you trust the seller then a partial commitment is a reasonable expectation.

As far as the value of a 964 and it’s performance vs a more modern Porsche personally I think that’s a ridiculous argument. If performance is your ultimate goal then a C8 Corvette is a much better value. Will that C8 match the experience of an air cooled 964? Will the C8’s performance be usable on the street? Reality is that there are sweet spots in the car market and most modern performance cars capabilities far exceed what you can use on the street. The 964 OTOH is thrilling at reasonable speeds and you can push it on back roads without the risk of being arrested.
The following users liked this post:
9SIX4-C4 (10-31-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 12:51 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 358 Likes on 219 Posts

I must admit that there is something to be said about the later cars . . . . AND something to be said about the air cooled cars. I sold my 964 to buy a GT3. 2 years later I found an opportunity to buy another 964 sooooo . . .

More different than similar but each is great in its own way.

I missed several cars while shopping for the GT3 - including the car I own. I flew across country to look at the car but it "sold" before I got a chance to drive it. Then the buyer couldn't close the way the buyer wanted to so I got a second bite and bingo. Before that I test drove a GT3 at a dealer. The car sold while I was on the test drive. It hurts to miss a chance to buy a car that you think is the one. I try to remember that rushing into a car because a couple get away can result in buying the wrong car. For me - there is always another car to find but I only have the money one car. Every car you consider will provide you with more information about what to look for. Sorry you missed the last one but a better match is out there.

Last edited by jpoint; 10-31-2020 at 12:52 AM.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:30 AM
stijn_b
Advanced

Light at the end of the tunnel! Went seeing 2 964's last Friday and one of them is one I really liked from what I saw. I'm having a PPI done this week. If all good it'll be mine!
More news soon.
The following 3 users liked this post by stijn_b:
911Jetta (11-09-2020), 9SIX4-C4 (11-09-2020), NACHTBLAU (11-09-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 06:06 AM
stijn_b
Advanced

I've found my 964! I've posted pics in a new thread, I felt it was more appropriate.

See here!

Quick Reply: The hunt for a 964 - not an easy one...?