Sponsored by:

Leaky Head on 3.6 ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 10:10 AM
drola
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Leaky Head on 3.6 ??

i pulled the motor out of 964 for some while you're in there stuff. the motor is a late 1991 with plastic intake and after the serial # of commencement of head gaskets. not sure of the mileage since it is not original to my car.
i found this evidence of oil on the #6 cylinder to head mating point. i have not done a compression test since i didn't realize i may have a problem. all head studs are intact without issues. and the motor runs like a bat out of hell, even stronger than the 3.8's in the area. but yet i found this oil stain right at that spot which does not make me very happy. is this something of concern?

Old 07-15-2020, 09:39 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Hard to say but that could be from above leaking down. Usually there is blow back from the vents and the seals for the oil pressure temp dry out and begin to leak causing a mess above which heats up and trickles down. You have the engine out I would remove the intake and all the shrouds clean and check. Also a good time to reseal every seal you can while you have things apart. Another proactive thing is to replace all fuel lines while at it these are now 30 years old and not intended to last that long or at least covered by the factory.
Old 07-19-2020, 03:42 PM
drola
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 119 Posts

it doesn't appear to be coming from above. the rest of that cylinder looks clean. just that caked up oil residue on the side. which is why i find it odd. i figure i won't worry about it too much. i'll clean it up really well and drive it like that. in a couple months i'll look at it again and see if it comes back.
intake is off for a good cleaning/inspection/seals. fuel lines are off for refurbishment.
if only that was the end of the while i'm in there list .........

Quick Reply: Leaky Head on 3.6 ??