964 RS Prices

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 09:26 AM
Lava GT3
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 964 RS Prices

Hi,

I live in the UK and am currently trying to get a handle on where 964 RS prices are...as I want to buy one ! From what I have learnt quite a few of the cars that have sold in the UK/Europe recently have gone to US buyers. I am having trouble finding much info/listing for cars in the US, the two that I have found are

European Collectibles 46k km car for $225k

https://www.europeancollectibles.com...911-carrera-rs

BaT 37 k mile car bid to $190k

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-carrera-rs-5/

I know Canepa have a low mileage car which I assume is ex Seinfeld but what’s the best website for searching for cars like this in the US ? Based on that European Collectibles car and that BaT auction it seems cars are priced very similarly here and in the U.S. so it surprises me people are still importing them. I know prices vary hugely based on original pain/panels/mileage etc.

If anyone can shed any more light on where these amazing cars have changed hands in the US in the last year or of prices have moved much I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 06-27-2020, 10:06 AM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts

I recently came across this website that shows several cars throughout Europe, not sure how up to date they are: https://www.elferspot.com/en/find/po...4-rs-for-sale/
Old 06-27-2020, 10:26 AM
Lava GT3
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vegas993
I recently came across this website that shows several cars throughout Europe, not sure how up to date they are: https://www.elferspot.com/en/find/po...4-rs-for-sale/
Thanks, yes it’s a pretty good site but was really wanting something US specific ! If anyone is looking for cars in Europe Mobile.de and AutoScout24 are both good and have Apps As well as Websites. The other site I use which does have some US cars is classicdriver.com
Old 06-27-2020, 10:36 AM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts

Are you aware they were never Imported here and they only became eligible for legal import 3 years ago? There are probably more in private collector's hands than there have been for sale.

Last edited by Vegas993; 06-27-2020 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:43 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

That’s exciting that you are looking for a RS. Such an understated design, with so much changed under the skin. I love how it’s hidden, but there from the first second you drive it (so I have read). Prices up or down, whatever just glad to see more of them come over. We got screwed!

If I was in the market, I would contact Thomas Schmitz. He knows everything 964 RS, and has sold (and resold) most of them. Always has a range of cars, so you’re sure to know exactly what you’re getting. Plus you can drive it home!

http://www.germansportscars.net/en/p...s-zns491733-2/

Old 06-27-2020, 04:12 PM
Nylasurf
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you aware they were never Imported here and they only became eligible for legal import 3 years ago? There are probably more in private collector's hands than there have been for sale.
The RS never was a U.S. model car...we got the RS America, which was a U.S. Carrera 2 without some options to shed some weight. The closest we did get to the RS was in the form of the U.S. Cup cars, a race series that never materialized...some cars were race prepped and some remained as factory cars similar to the Euro RS...

The RS cars that are here now all came from Europe via import under the 25 yr rule or as non drivers for collectors.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:20 PM
Lava GT3
Advanced

Yes that’s understood. But if those Collectors do sell than and dealers list them my question is which are the best websites to monitor them on ?
Old 06-27-2020, 04:36 PM
Lava GT3
Advanced

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
That’s exciting that you are looking for a RS. Such an understated design, with so much changed under the skin. I love how it’s hidden, but there from the first second you drive it (so I have read). Prices up or down, whatever just glad to see more of them come over. We got screwed!

If I was in the market, I would contact Thomas Schmitz. He knows everything 964 RS, and has sold (and resold) most of them. Always has a range of cars, so you’re sure to know exactly what you’re getting. Plus you can drive it home!

You’ve hit the nail on the head ! What I love about the 964 RS is the fact that apart from the lower stance it looks like any other 30 yr old Porsche. It’s a sleeper and really is Porsche’s hot road. I’ve looked at buying a couple of sleeper 911 hot rod’s this year and it occurred to me people go to all this trouble building these cars and Porsche has already made it. No wing, a seam welded body which certainly none of the water cooled RS’s have ( I believe) and then I love the fact there’s no cage. I’ve already got a car with a cage and a wing with my 991.2 GT3 and I don’t need two of them !

It really is there from the first second...even sitting in the passenger seat you can feel how alive and direct it is as a car.
The following users liked this post:
911Jetta (06-30-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 05:24 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta

I get suspicious when I see things like what appears to be a reconditioned set of 3.8RS speedlines that are incorrect and noted as original. There are many markings missing. If they are on top of their game they would know that the set they are trying to sell is a mismatch. The 3.8RSR wheels are correct but the 3.8 RS wheels show the fronts as 9,5 ET47 which would make them 92 3.6 cup car rears being sold with 94 3.8 RS rears. That maritime is nice but so many of these seem to be fixed up cars and they don't pay enough attention to rebuild the speedlines properly on the car.

Old 06-27-2020, 06:32 PM
Talat
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Out of interest, why are you concerned about the US market if you are UK based ? The first car you linked is actually from Japan so whilst there may be cars from EU going to US (i.e. GT Classics recently sold a 993RS), some will be coming from Japan too. Are you looking to sell into the US market ? Or are you (like I did when I was in the market) just looking for some indication that the US market will help prop up prices so you won't lose your shirt on one ?
Old 06-27-2020, 08:10 PM
Lava GT3
Advanced

Originally Posted by Talat
Out of interest, why are you concerned about the US market if you are UK based ? The first car you linked is actually from Japan so whilst there may be cars from EU going to US (i.e. GT Classics recently sold a 993RS), some will be coming from Japan too. Are you looking to sell into the US market ? Or are you (like I did when I was in the market) just looking for some indication that the US market will help prop up prices so you won't lose your shirt on one ?
I’m just trying to get a feel for where sales are actually taking place relative to advertised prices....there’s quite a few cars on the market and they don’t seem to be selling. I’m interested because I’ve heard that the majority of sales from at least one dealer have been to the US in the last year. Given advertised prices seem broadly similar my guess is that dealers in the UK/Europe are having to do deals a fair way below advertised prices for people to import them to the US given the costs and risk.

Funnily enough a low mileage car has just been listed for auction since I started this thread so that will help a lot with price discovery.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:12 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/car...s?currency=USD
Old 06-28-2020, 12:46 AM
2-Rotor
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Does anyone know roughly how much it would cost to import a 964RS if purchased in europe to bring here to the US?
Old 06-28-2020, 12:59 AM
2-Rotor
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Prices that i have seen are all over the place. I was told by a classic porsche dealer that pricing for certain cars depends on desirable color and what type of condition the car is in. Dont forget these cars were pretty much track cars and may have been used hard and put away wet before realizing they were going up in value.
Old 06-28-2020, 03:08 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,762 Likes on 2,361 Posts

most 964RS trades privately
there are two inside my warehouse.
there are no sites that specifically sell/buy/trade these cars. not many here in USA
with MANY variables, I have seen them trade from $250 to $350 + (not asking, actual price sold)
The following users liked this post:
Matt Andrews (07-03-2020)

Quick Reply: 964 RS Prices