Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

one step wax? i am lazy.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 06:47 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 242 Posts

A silly amount. However, I watched a bunch of videos on cQuartz 3.0 DIY and Rob and I were going to try to learn how to do it on his 996 before this pandemic got in the way.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:09 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I'm currently using Jescar Powerlock and really like it. Goes on and comes off easily, feels good to the touch and lasts a "decent" amount of time. If there's an easier and longer lasting product, I'd love to hear it.

https://jescarfinishing.com/blogs/ne...luencer-post-1
Old 07-12-2020, 08:11 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 247 Posts

I saw that product specifically mentioned in a review of the Nufinish. The summary being it also lasts long but goes on easier and is a newer formula
Old 07-12-2020, 08:29 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 370 Posts

Never really have seen any benefit in the "black" waxes. If you want depth, Pinnacle Sovereign is amazing wax on black....but it's a soft wax and won't last long on a DD.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:48 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 428 Likes on 278 Posts

I've tried black waxes. Snake oil.

I've used nufinish- i was using nufinish back in the eighties when it was new! But back then we only ever bought it to use on old oxidized paint- since when first applied it looks great. But then, on old oxidized paint, if you use mothers "plastic polish", it does the same thing....looks awesome for a week. And then it dries out and becomes a haze.

Nufinish is good for a quickie apply. It's just a synthetic wax. And though it beads for a long time, it dulls fairly quickly.

That said- it fails at a higher temperature than carbuba wax - so a black 964 baking in the sun...might fare better.

I'm thinking to just get a 55gallon drum of baby oil and spraying it down every so often. It'll keep people from leaning on it and touching it all the time. Plus it'll never rust.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:42 PM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
I've tried black waxes. Snake oil.

I've used nufinish- i was using nufinish back in the eighties when it was new! But back then we only ever bought it to use on old oxidized paint- since when first applied it looks great. But then, on old oxidized paint, if you use mothers "plastic polish", it does the same thing....looks awesome for a week. And then it dries out and becomes a haze.

Nufinish is good for a quickie apply. It's just a synthetic wax. And though it beads for a long time, it dulls fairly quickly.

That said- it fails at a higher temperature than carbuba wax - so a black 964 baking in the sun...might fare better.

I'm thinking to just get a 55gallon drum of baby oil and spraying it down every so often. It'll keep people from leaning on it and touching it all the time. Plus it'll never rust.
Just wipe it down with the fluid film on your shelf- haha. That’s what I do with my old land cruisers. FF inside and out.

pete
Old 07-13-2020, 10:47 AM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

I would say take some time and get a good base, decontaminate /clay the car and then do a 1 stage Polish with something like Sonax perfect finish and see if it gets the results you like in terms of swirl reduction.

Right now I've got a coat of Jescar power lock topped with a coat of Colonite 845 on top. It's held up great, I simply wash the car now and use either bedmaker or Adams Gloss and Guard (recent favorite) as a drying aid when washing. It gives it a bit more shine and adds some hydrophobicity to help with water beading and keep it cleaner in the summer daily storms here in Florida.

A bit of extra time the first go, and 10-15 minutes of extra time using a drying aid can go a long way in keeping the finish protected without resorting to a full paint correction and pro level ceramics (which I also don't care for the look and feel of like many others).

Swine11 ReBoot - 964 / 993 Shift Boot Trim Panel

2004 996 GT3 | 1986 Carrera 3.2 (future Keen Project) | 2016 Cayenne Diesel

Quick Reply: one step wax? i am lazy.