Sponsored by:

Worn syncros or TADTS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 04:34 AM
willmip
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Worn syncros or TADTS?

My C4 already had 100k miles on it when I bought it (now 126k), and I've always felt that while there is no difficulty with gear changes, it did feel like clutch was never quite fully disengaged.

Today with the car coasting, idle revs, and the clutch pedal fully down, I noticed that when very slowly selecting gear (I tried in 2nd and 3rd), I could get a slight graunching. Basically if I went fishing
for it I could get it to ever so slightly graunch/grind.

My clutch lines, slave, and fluid are all less than 6 months old.

Is this a possible symptom of worn syncros, or just a 964 "they all do that sir"?

Old 07-12-2020, 01:04 PM
Supercharged964
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's probably nothing to worry about. You can actually shift too slowly for the syncros to work properly. And as you're coasting in neutral with the clutch disengaged, your transmission's input shaft is spinning very slowly or even stopped, compared to your output shaft which is linked to the wheels and spinning very quickly. You are asking the sycnros to work hard in that scenario. A quick blip of the thottle with the clutch pedal out would spin up the input shaft and is much easier on the syncros.

You can try some different gear oil as well. I plan to change to Redline 75W90 NS soon based on what I've read about here.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:49 AM
willmip
Racer

I'm running Redline 75W90NS. Couldn't tell the difference from what was in there previously to be honest.

I might bleed the slave again, and leave it at that til the winter then.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:52 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Have you checked your roll pin? Also, you may want to check your clutch pedal. See my post in this thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ake-pedal.html
Old 07-13-2020, 12:06 PM
willmip
Racer

Thanks, took the pedal board out for a look. The board is pretty tired so I'll make a new one. I also noticed this clutch travel limiter thing. Wonder if adjusting that might help.

The bushes and roll pin appear fine. The pedal doesn't hang or stick, and stops up level with the brake pedal.

Quick Reply: Worn syncros or TADTS?