Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 vs. late 911

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2020 | 01:36 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Thanks, jpoint. That is very helpful. I had a street 996 GT3 that I sold when I got the cup car. Wish I had not. The 981 GT4 is similar in many ways, but ....
A C2 Targa is a new idea for me. I have only looked at coupes because I have previously been entirely track-focused. For a car that will not be tracked much if at all, a Targa might be nice. But don't they all leak?
The short answer is yes they leak. However - they don't have to. The tops can be adjusted and rebuilt to be tight. I rebuilt one of my prior tops and was able to get it very tight. That said - I usually leave the top at home. I had a "parking" top that covered the car when I parked it but could not be in place during driving. The thing about the Targa is it is different from every other 911 - even the cabs. Some people hate them but may some day wish they hadn't. As noted - the 964 Targa is harder to find because it was the lowest production version of the regular 964's. Only about 160 came to the US in 1990 and they were about 10% of total 964 production for the series. The 964 was also the last traditional Targa. All the other versions of 911's are still in production - coups, sun roof coups, and cabs. The new Targa looks like the traditional but it is a mechanical wonder work. The traditional folding Targa top car is no more. Many people dissed them so not many were made. We know what has happened to other "unpopular" Porsche cars in a series. I don't think Targas will ever be like some of the limited number cars that exploded in value. I own one because I like it. I won't say buy one. I will say drive one and decide. It's not the car for everyone or even every Porsche owner but it will be unlike any 911 you own.

Mine is still a work in progress but they have a thing about them that is hard to describe when the execution is proper.

This is not my car but I think communicates the point about a nicely done Targa.
The following 2 users liked this post by jpoint:
911Jetta (06-30-2020), Marine Blue (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020 | 04:05 PM
tgil
Pro

Had 87 coupe - now 91 coupe - the 87 felt much lighter even with a lot of lightweigting of the 91. (RSdoor cards, 90% carpet and sound deadening removed, Prototipo wheel, radio removed, passenger side visor removed, ashtray removed, frunk bare like the RS, including removal of the washer fluid).

The 964 is a beast and sounds fantastic (motor is stock except for removal of the intake snorkle)-ive got Bilstein PSS10s and is Euro ride height, with just the Cup pipe complementing the stock exhaust setup.

87 is simpler and lighter car and very fun to own and drive. 964 is a unique 911 and I would not part with mine at this time.

The following users liked this post:
911Jetta (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020 | 10:32 PM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

I always wonder - how the actual shells and running gear of the 2 differ in weight and how much the 'lighter" feel can be to attributed to the actual weight balance front to rear. Looking at the data from excellence the late 911 is 2866lbs and the 1990 c2 is 3031lbs. Many here including spyerx and tgil have removed that much weight from the 964 but still say its different and/or heavier feeling. I wonder how the front rear weights of the 2 compare. might the lighter feeling come down to manual steering and less front end weight? If one stripped all the abs/power steering etc would they still remarkable different? Or does some it come down to the torsion bar vs coil over?

I'm very curious because the 1990 c2 is the only 91 I've driven but I've always been into lower light cars like the early BMW 2002's. First driving the c2 I felt very insulated and had a very hard time telling what the car was doing. I've improved the feel a bit but- even now I want more communication. I chalked it up to being rear engine vs front reading the posts makes me wonder if there isn't still more to be done to the 964 to get a better (lighter) feel out of it. May even try manual steering just for kicks....

Pete
Old 06-30-2020 | 11:45 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

As far as a lighter feel, has anyone done some comparisons with the stock tire widths an a lighter wheel combination on the 964 to see if that gets it closer to the older cars? Hard to deny there’s more wheel and tire on the road on the 964.
Old 06-30-2020 | 11:51 PM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Thats another good point. I know that even the difference between the 205's and 225's up front on the 964 is noticeable.

Old 07-01-2020 | 01:03 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Peteinjp
Thats another good point. I know that even the difference between the 205's and 225's up front on the 964 is noticeable.
I definitely noticed a significant difference in feel when I switched to the 17” wheels and wider tires. I know the Cup 1’s weigh about the same as the RUF wheels, that alone made the car feel heavier and not as light on its feet.

As rotors and calipers grew the need for bigger diameter wheels became a requirement on each new model. This combination alone could have a big impact on how the car feels.
Old 07-01-2020 | 03:54 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

chris, been a long time since you posted.
we have similar porsche background, starting with 996gt3.
so this maybe of help.
I have all these cars I am about to describe
if all stock 911 G body is too young to be so slow and not old enough to be charming
vs. a 964, 964 is way better car.
G is lighter than 964 but not that much in terms of hp/wt ratio.
964 is slow too, but. it feels good
G is slow and it feels slow
based on above u would think I recommend a 964.
BUT 964 is rather modern still. and a little liek 996gt3, especially if you modded the 964
so maybe go drive a pre 74 long hood that's truly dialed in,. not many are.
u either will hate it or end up buying 3.
it is a TOTALLY different experience.
Old 07-01-2020 | 07:45 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Hey Mooty
Distractions non-Porsche and lack of excitement about the modern cars has reduced my posting here, although I do have a deposit on a GT4 RS that I have high hopes for.
Current thought is to keep the '89 3.2 coupe stock--it's very much a time capsule car now and very nice. I then turned my attention to an older car--a pre-'74. My favoured vendor suggested a 964 instead, so I've been looking there. I will renew the discussion with him on that topic and ask him to keep his eyes open for both.
Appreciate the thoughts!
Old 07-01-2020 | 08:50 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Interesting comment. Possibly, but outdated in a way that makes it useable everyday, 30 years later, the others in this test, no so much...

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...errari-456-gt/
Interesting article and amazing how 0-60 in sub 5 seconds seemed so unobtainable back in the day. I found it interesting that they said the BTR was a twin turbo. All the documentation I have says it was single turbo and even the intercooler is off a 964 single turbo engine which would take a lot of interesting plumbing to make it twin.

Originally Posted by r-mm
Its real...

These are such underrated cars with a unique styling all their own. Worked on a race prepped GTA a while back which was so nice.

Originally Posted by Peteinjp
I always wonder - how the actual shells and running gear of the 2 differ in weight and how much the 'lighter" feel can be to attributed to the actual weight balance front to rear. Looking at the data from excellence the late 911 is 2866lbs and the 1990 c2 is 3031lbs. Many here including spyerx and tgil have removed that much weight from the 964 but still say its different and/or heavier feeling. I wonder how the front rear weights of the 2 compare. might the lighter feeling come down to manual steering and less front end weight? If one stripped all the abs/power steering etc would they still remarkable different? Or does some it come down to the torsion bar vs coil over?

I'm very curious because the 1990 c2 is the only 91 I've driven but I've always been into lower light cars like the early BMW 2002's. First driving the c2 I felt very insulated and had a very hard time telling what the car was doing. I've improved the feel a bit but- even now I want more communication. I chalked it up to being rear engine vs front reading the posts makes me wonder if there isn't still more to be done to the 964 to get a better (lighter) feel out of it. May even try manual steering just for kicks....

Pete
My opinion although when you consider the relocation of the fuel tank and oil sump the 964 becomes a more balanced car. It is easy enough to reduce the 964 under 2950 pounds getting the extra 100 lbs out after that takes some work. Sounds like you need to look into your alignment settings. I went from a 2002 Tii to a 911E but it has been so many years and my memory isn't what it used to be. The 911 as I recall just blew the Tii away in every respect. I find it funny how most people get into my 964's and complain how light the front end feels, The manual rack I initially had installed actually made the car feel heavier having to work much harder at speed and in turns like the carousel at the Glen I had to manhandle the car unlike my earlier 911's or 964 with power assist without much IMO noticeable feedback. It took some time coming from early 911's to get accustomed to the weight of the 964 especially the turbo but the 964 to me always feels more planted and controllable compared to any of the early 911's I owned. Although that could be todays rubber compounds and suspensions as well. Just switching from MPS2's to MPS4s's changed the character and feel of the C2. The 911 E was a true killer if you screwed up. Learned how to control the back end of that quickly, the hard way. The narrow track and tires kept you on your toes but what a great car for its day..
Old 07-01-2020 | 08:53 AM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

This is a bit of a pet peeve for me. Especially on older cars without power steering like my alfa it is such a huge downgrade to install tires wider than the 165 or 185 the factory had. It also hurts my eyes. 16 inch 6 and 7 inch wide design 90s are to my knowledge the lightest wheel are the factory ever offered for this car. Coming from my E30 with 14 inch wheels or even from my Carrera 3.2 the grip available with a fresh set of 205 and 225 tires is really excellent and balanced. Fight diameter and width inflation! Add lightness and cheapness.
Old 07-01-2020 | 09:28 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

^^ actually the 16" narrow spoked cup design wheel weighed less than the D90's by as much as 2.2 pounds. You also have to consider tire weight. I prefer the 18's myself. Unfortunately any tire I like isn't offered in a 16" size only 17 and 18".
Old 07-01-2020 | 09:36 AM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Tire size availability is an issue for sure. Ive not seen that info are you sure?
Old 07-01-2020 | 10:24 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Yes I had the D90's and narrow spokes I sold a while back my scale said the D90's weighed 17 pounds for the front and 18.7 for the rears. The narrow spokes weighed in at 15.8 front and 16.5 rear. Assuming my scale is accurate that is what I saw although my D90's had fresh paint but were supposedly stripped down.
Old 07-01-2020 | 10:25 AM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Gotcha and that's for 6"/7" on both sets of 16s ?

I have a set of forged fuchs manhole lids without tires I've been meaning to weigh, but they're 7"/8"
Old 07-01-2020 | 10:37 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

IIRC the forged wheels actually weigh more.

Quick Reply: 964 vs. late 911