Japan import

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 04:00 PM
gccch
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Japan import

Hey all,

I'm new to the 964 and new to 911 but have owned a couple of late model Porsche. So beginning to look around for a nice driver car and have come up with a couple questions:

1) broken head studs. If found in PPI, would you run away or renegotiate and have it repaired? Otherwise everything is super nice... Would it scare off most buyers? Should it?

2) Tiptronic transmission. Really would not be looking for one, but the world is changing. I know it is not a PDK, but you can no longer buy a true manual n ew 911. So maybe years down the road it doesn't kill value so much? Is it a value killer? Could still be a fun car. Right? I'm a value conscious buyer... yeah I prefer a manual but if I can get into a better generation car rather than go older or even to the ugly 2000s I may consider it.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 06-05-2020, 06:57 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

1)broken head stud: This is a serious issue, requires engine removal to repair. That is a BIG job. Essentially the "while you are in there" ethos means you have to rebuild your motor.

2)Tiptronics do NOT have a lot of market demand and the prices are lower because of it. The Tip itself is a robust system but it is dated for its time. I own a 964 manual and a tip. And when I drove the tip daily in zombie commuter mode I appreciated it. On spirited drives you have to take manual control as the tip in general keeps the RPMs low unless you mash the throttle all the time.

The 964 is no longer for the value conscious buyer. Those days are over. And you should never buy a 964 with broken head studs unless you can do the engine work yourself or get a massive discount on the sale of the car. Ask the shop that did the PPI their cost to repair the broken head studs. I am sure that is not the only issue with the motor.

Ricardo

Old 06-05-2020, 10:07 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 830 Likes on 512 Posts

To your questions:

1) broken headstuds might not be the only problem with the motor and it will be easy to spend another $10 - $15K "while you are in there"
2) Tiptronic - drive one and see whether you like it. I have never driven one but they are probably still fun cars

Since you titled your question Japanese Import, here are a couple of other items that you will need to be aware of when it comes to these cars (I have one):
- It costs about $700 to get a MPH speedometer if the car doesn't already have one
- You will need new headlights ($500 - $600) because the left hand drive headlights are terrible when you drive on the right side of the road
- Japanese radios won't work here in the US

Old 06-06-2020, 12:14 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
To your questions:

1) broken headstuds might not be the only problem with the motor and it will be easy to spend another $10 - $15K "while you are in there"
2) Tiptronic - drive one and see whether you like it. I have never driven one but they are probably still fun cars

Since you titled your question Japanese Import, here are a couple of other items that you will need to be aware of when it comes to these cars (I have one):
- It costs about $700 to get a MPH speedometer if the car doesn't already have one
- You will need new headlights ($500 - $600) because the left hand drive headlights are terrible when you drive on the right side of the road
Adding to above, if you live in CA you’ll need to spend another $10k to get it registered in CA.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:05 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

I have no issue with tips. They are only 4 gears but pull like a freight train when manually shifted.

I don't see any mention if it is an early ringless engine or late MY 91 or newer. I ask this because I have never seen a late MY engine with a broken head stud only early. It has a lot to do with the head design which was changes in the later MY cars. If this is an original early engine expect a min of top end rebuild with potential need for some expensive parts.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:42 AM
gccch
Racer

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
To your questions:

Good additional input... Glad to have it. I don't know if I would be required to put in the MPH speedo... But that's a hefty price for a gauge!

Also didn't realize a radio would not work. That's unusual. It does have an aftermarket but of course that would also be from Japan unless this was changed upon import. Good thing to question.

Old 06-06-2020, 12:34 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

gccch:

My 964 is a Japanese import.

A few comments:

1. It is a left hand drive so not the normal right hand drive you would see for a Japanese car.
2. My radio does work in Canada both AM and FM. It think it is a stock radio. I definitely know it was not switched since import.
3. The user manual and all repair records are in Japanese as expected. I purchased an English users manual from the local Porsche dealer. It was under CAD$100.
4. Watch for corrosion due to salt. My wheels had to be restored at approx. CAD$1,500.
5. Majority of the labels in the car are in Japanese. Thought about removing them. 15 years later ..... still there.
6. Canada is in KM so no need to change any gauges.
7. Canada has relative simple rules on importation (mainly safety check) so not expensive to import from Japan. Left hand drive so did not need to switch lights around. This was noted in safety inspection report.

Prior to the economic collapse in the 90's Japan was living large so a lot of expensive European autos were imported there.

Find a good importer. I think there are still a lot of good hidden gems in Japan especially early 1990 model 964s.

https://www.goo-net-exchange.com/php/search/summary.php
Old 06-06-2020, 01:56 PM
gccch
Racer

Originally Posted by canuck964
gccch:

My 964 is a Japanese import.

A few comments:

1. It is a left hand drive so not the normal right hand drive you would see for a Japanese car.
2. My radio does work in Canada both AM and FM. It think it is a stock radio. I definitely know it was not switched since import.
3. The user manual and all repair records are in Japanese as expected. I purchased an English users manual from the local Porsche dealer. It was under CAD$100.
4. Watch for corrosion due to salt. My wheels had to be restored at approx. CAD$1,500.
5. Majority of the labels in the car are in Japanese. Thought about removing them. 15 years later ..... still there.
6. Canada is in KM so no need to change any gauges.
7. Canada has relative simple rules on importation (mainly safety check) so not expensive to import from Japan. Left hand drive so did not need to switch lights around. This was noted in safety inspection report.

Prior to the economic collapse in the 90's Japan was living large so a lot of expensive European autos were imported there.

Find a good importer. I think there are still a lot of good hidden gems in Japan especially early 1990 model 964s.

https://www.goo-net-exchange.com/php/search/summary.php
Good info!!
This one is already in the US so I am not shopping there although if that makes sense it may be a fun trip. I’ve been there and could get the maintenance record translated.

I did not know they use salt, but Tokyo is milder and it has low miles also. Will check good for rust.

My biggest worry was the engine and trans option.

Are there any advantages to buying a car from that market? I would expect by nature it would be well cared for bit they have a lot of smokers there also. I prefer a smoke free car.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:16 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by gccch
Good info!!
This one is already in the US so I am not shopping there although if that makes sense it may be a fun trip. I’ve been there and could get the maintenance record translated.

I did not know they use salt, but Tokyo is milder and it has low miles also. Will check good for rust.

My biggest worry was the engine and trans option.

Are there any advantages to buying a car from that market? I would expect by nature it would be well cared for bit they have a lot of smokers there also. I prefer a smoke free car.
I think that the salt issue is because a lot of the cities are near the ocean and not because they use salt to de-ice roads. I found my wheels and the fan blade quite corroded.

Yes agreed about the smoking especially if the car is from the 90's.

I was lucky and could not find evidence of any smoking in the car. Ashtray was clean and no signs of nicotine on the roof liners.

I don't know if there is any advantage to purchasing from that market.

The importer of my car just told me that there are lots of well optioned and unique Porsche in Japan especially model in 1980s to early 1990s due to their economy at that time.

Also noticed the low miles too. Mine had 35,000 km (21,000 miles) when i bought in 2005. It now has a staggering 50,000 km (30,000 miles).
Old 06-07-2020, 08:59 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 830 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by canuck964
I think that the salt issue is because a lot of the cities are near the ocean and not because they use salt to de-ice roads. I found my wheels and the fan blade quite corroded.

I don't know if there is any advantage to purchasing from that market).
I found pieces of my engine and fan quite corroded as well but we did a full overhaul and replaced everything.

Unless you want a non-sunroof car, I do not think there is any benefit buying a Japanese car.

Whatever you do, have a thorough PPI performed and don't trust any of the importers of these cars.

Quick Reply: Japan import