Sponsored by:

Shop recommendations for bare tub nut & bolts hot rod build

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 12:35 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Received 453 Likes on 198 Posts
Default Shop recommendations for bare tub nut & bolts hot rod build

I am in my early stage of planning my build and would love to get recommendations from this community. The goal is a street 964 that is as light as possible (minimal safety compromises) with heat and A/C and focused on driving engagement and performance. The car will only be used on nice weekends for fun drives. I would be happy if I get to put ~2000 miles on it a year. The plan is to keep it forever so not really building with resale in mind. Relatively flexible on budget but don’t want it getting out of control (otherwise, I start thinking why not buy a few different cars with the money).

What shop would you recommend to oversee a build like this? I am in the Pacific NW USA. Local would be ideal but open to other states (and maybe even Coach Werks in Vancouver Island).

Bare tub (inspired by @964.4L). Sunroof delete (unless I start with a no sunroof car). Half cage, as bare an interior as possible, likely custom dash for Motec display, eliminate all rubber in suspension, likely keep bumpers and door unless the shop has a way to do a street friendly full cage, would like to keep glass (instead of Lexan).

I look forward to learning from this amazing community. Thanks!
Old 05-27-2020, 02:15 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by ForeverCar
...What shop would you recommend to oversee a build like this? I am in the Pacific NW USA. Local would be ideal but open to other states (and maybe even Coach Werks in Vancouver Island).
Jeff Gamroth, Rothsport Racing (Sherwood, Oregon)

Old 05-27-2020, 02:33 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 116 Posts

What is the purpose of the roll cage in a car like this? (honest question)
Old 05-27-2020, 02:54 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RicardoD
What is the purpose of the roll cage in a car like this? (honest question)
I appreciate the question. I am a bit undecided still and welcome input.

Increase safety and rigidity would be the goal. However, I realize safety is questionable if not a full cage, helmet, harness, and hans device. So, it might not be worth it after all.

Has anyone found a solution to eliminate the spare while not compromising on safety (crash protection)?
Old 05-28-2020, 04:39 AM
964.4L
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 89 Posts

I second Jeff at Rothsport. One of the most experienced guys for aircooled Porsche’s. He uses the same guys as Singer to get the chassis stripped to bare metal.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:10 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 201 Posts

Thanks Jetta! cool post!
The following users liked this post:
911Jetta (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 11:50 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 252 Posts

Call Jeff Gamroth. You are lucky to have him in your part of the country.
911Jetta (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 12:04 PM
tgil
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Geography challenged for you, but RS-Werks near Philly, PA. Im on my 2nd build in 5 years (IROC RSR tribute now an SCRS) - RS price will be great value for money vs the popular names , and they use all the top end performance parts, and do mostly full -on builds from the ground up with mostly hotrodded motors - examples are an ST clone with all the original parts supplied by RS inventory, and several of the 15 IROC RSR are currently committed. In house paint shop with only German paints/tints, on site machine shop, very little is outsourced just some necessary machining of usable motor or trans parts.
Yes I am prejudiced based on the quality of my IROC RSR build (the Black one) and the value for money.
They have clients nationwide and one I know personally from Columbia. Shop owned transportation fleet of large enclosed Semi pulled hauler and two Ford dualists with trailers, and an on -retainer pro transportation professional as well.

Good luck.
911Jetta (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 12:09 PM
tgil
Pro

Also, they only use real steel turbo flares for those builds, with full-time in-house welders. Yes they often source fiberglass parts like are needed and appropriate for my SCRS, and some clients get thinner glass, lightweight doors and hoods, backdated interiors, and they do sunroof delete and long hood conversions as well.

Todd
Old 05-29-2020, 09:03 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tgil
Geography challenged for you, but RS-Werks near Philly, PA. Im on my 2nd build in 5 years (IROC RSR tribute now an SCRS) - RS price will be great value for money vs the popular names , and they use all the top end performance parts, and do mostly full -on builds from the ground up with mostly hotrodded motors - examples are an ST clone with all the original parts supplied by RS inventory, and several of the 15 IROC RSR are currently committed. In house paint shop with only German paints/tints, on site machine shop, very little is outsourced just some necessary machining of usable motor or trans parts.
Yes I am prejudiced based on the quality of my IROC RSR build (the Black one) and the value for money.
They have clients nationwide and one I know personally from Columbia. Shop owned transportation fleet of large enclosed Semi pulled hauler and two Ford dualists with trailers, and an on -retainer pro transportation professional as well.

Good luck.
Originally Posted by tgil
Also, they only use real steel turbo flares for those builds, with full-time in-house welders. Yes they often source fiberglass parts like are needed and appropriate for my SCRS, and some clients get thinner glass, lightweight doors and hoods, backdated interiors, and they do sunroof delete and long hood conversions as well.

Todd
Thanks for the suggestion Todd. I will check it out.

Definitely lucky to have so many great options and practically local to Rothsport. Cost, however, is a different can of worms.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:40 AM
Slow RSA
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

I highly recommend Goldcrest Motorsports in Kennesaw, GA. They rebuilt my motor, installed my Aim system, etc. They did a no-expense-spared E build which was a full restoration plus the race stuff, Motec C187 dash, etc., that turned out absolutely amazing. They are the ones that even do the Leh Keen safari cars as well. Check them out, their work is meticulous, have in-house carbon fiber capabilities, everybody at the shop has stout resume's and they only use the best parts made.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:20 PM
tgil
Pro

how would you rate Goldcrest Motors prices ? I know its somewhat relative but value for money, top quality parts used, etc?

Todd - Durham, NC