Sponsored by:

Water passenger rear footwell

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 11:32 AM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Received 351 Likes on 248 Posts
Default Water passenger rear footwell

When I bought my car it was a bit of an unknown and I drove it home thru unbelievable rain. Found a bunch of water on the pass side. I pulled much of the insulation and later changed all sunroof seals, verified drains flowing, changed frunk seal. The car sat out for some good rains and I drove it thru some modest rains. I check the front pass footwell every time I get in the car (insulation and carpets intentionally left out for this purpose) and its been dry. Today I was looking at the rear and see soggy water laden insulation going up the pass rear kick panel (where your heels would it if you were a rear passenger). I know this is a low point and water would tend to gather there after a drive but I have a hard time believing I would not see ANY of it on the front or under the seat. I could be wrong...

Any tips for where to start looking?

Front is dry on the pan and when I push the insulation on the vertical surface:

All rear insulation is squishy when pressed:

Old 05-10-2020, 11:46 AM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

A details I should add is that I was originally getting a lot of water in the frunk but replacing the frunk seal stopped all of that completely.
Old 05-10-2020, 12:23 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 404 Posts

Sorry to see this, but glad you caught this sooner than later. Water in that location typically flows from either the rear side window, or a detached drain line from the sunroof (in the two corners of the rear shelf). Try taping a few paper towels under the side window to see if that's the source.
Old 05-10-2020, 12:32 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

I appreciate the tips. There is some discoloration around the headliner where it meets up with the side and main windows but I have never actually felt wetness there. Where are you suggesting I put a paper towel to check for water ingress? There are a lot of interior panels that would block a more immediate check.
Old 05-10-2020, 12:49 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 429 Likes on 278 Posts

Grab one of these:

Lockdown Silica Gel with Rechargeable Beads, Compact Design and Various Sizes for Vault Humidity Control and Rust Prevention
Amazon Amazon

Park the car in the sun w the windows up- it'll suck all the humidity out and get the inside nice and dry. I keep one of these in my car always.

There are lots of places for water to get in. Get it dry first and then you'll have to test. You can pack blue shop towels into problem areas and spray the car w a hose and see where the towels turn blue.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:22 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Sage advice from Goughary. I started down the same path as you. Now my car is bare naked inside with all the insulation and carpeting removed. That wasn’t the plan but plans change.

I would try folding a few paper towels in half and tuck them in along the perimeter of the window seal for starters. Affix a few more towels with painters tape on the back seat and footwell. You should probably pull up all the carpeting and closely inspect for damage. There’s a good chance you have some rust going on under the insulation.

I would also pull up that back seat cushion and see if there’s moisture on the seat. That’s where the water leaks down if the sunroof drains get disconnected in the rear shelf.

Good to catxh this and address it. My guess is there are a lot of 964’s quietly rusting away from the inside out.

Old 05-10-2020, 10:33 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Here’s a Thread from a Pelican focusing on a water leak in a similar location. May be a good time to convert to an RS carpet.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:59 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 601 Likes on 359 Posts

Been there done that. https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...refurb-22.html Post #328
Old 05-11-2020, 08:57 AM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys. I did verify early on that front and rear sunroof drains were flowing well but I suppose its possible one or more of them are semi-disconnected and allow x% of runoff into the car. I will take a closer look and move to stripping the rear for diagnostics.

Anyone replaced a side window seal lately? Not going to do it preventativly but curious to know whats involved.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:42 PM
Greg_V
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fought that same problem for a long time. Ultimately found the rear glass seal was leaking. used it as an excuse to replace with Euro glass and install a 993 3rd brake light. Found minor rust after removing the leaking seal which easily cleaned up. Leak is gone, I can use the rear view mirror, rust is nipped in the bud early, and my defroster lines work. win-win-win-win.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:57 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Can you describe where the leak was found?

Today I unzipped the headliner - came open nicely. Removed the annoying plstic torx that hold the little roof sound absorber in place. Sound absorber bone dry. Rubber tube looks healthy, re-verified rear vents flow nicely.

Next, with real-time help from Rob G, I removed the rear tray, window sill then pulled away the rear door card piece. At this point the entire side window rubber to sheet metal junction is visible. Had my wife soak the car and watched both side window and sunroof. Nothing.

Rob asked if I was absolutely certain that the water had dried from when it was first noticed, before I dropped the motor back in December and relayed a story of a car staying wet longer, in peak summer. I think i know that I checked but I don't 10000% know that I checked. Maybe I just checked the front? Either way that would be a fun ending. I will dry it out, re-soak and see what I end up with.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:15 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 250 Posts

You are a brave man to unzip the headliner. That terrifies me.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:18 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Its just like unzipping your pants really. I will not elaborate on that metaphor further.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:50 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by r-mm
Can you describe where the leak was found?.
The sunroof drains are known to disconnect at the left and right corners of the rear shelf here. You can see where the surgical tubing should connect to the rubber drain plug. I'm pretty sure I just cut the liner at this stage. No zippers here.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:55 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Removing the headliner is the only way to get access to the lower end of the rear tube correct? I want to be able to see mine but the fact that the flow so well and not seeing any water makes me think its not worth disturbing the headliner to check. I can do a real long stress test of those drains to see

Quick Reply: Water passenger rear footwell