Sponsored by:

Water passenger rear footwell

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 09:10 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by r-mm
wait so are the plugs solid or draining type?
They’re solid rubber plugs, with a conical shape on the underside that helps ensure that the water spray from below drips off and away from the underside.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:41 AM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

This?

Yes that’s it, unfortunately has to be riveted on...
Part# 91154240303 and 91154240403

wait so are the plugs solid or draining type?
Definitely solid, sacrificed a dead one to prove it.

Originally Posted by Foxman
They’re solid rubber plugs, with a conical shape on the underside that helps ensure that the water spray from below drips off and away from the underside.
Yea, what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Last edited by 964George; 05-14-2020 at 05:59 AM.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:23 AM
964George
Burning Brakes

Thanks for sharing that experience. I too have felt that the carpet on the sills is completely dry which discouraged me from considering the door seals as source of leak. Did you figure out where the water was flowing that it evaded your detection as a damp carpet?
As the velvet strip was perished water could get past that on to the door seal.
It then run down the door seal at the A pillar, right the way down to the sill.
Because the door seal was old, hard and crushed, it allowed water past to enter the cabin.
I believe it then run under the door trim strip which is screwed to the sill area.
Somehow running underneath the carpet and into the footwell.

It was only when I stripped out the sound deadening and carpet, from the footwell and sill area, that I noticed it.
Once I knew where it was coming in, you could clearly see the path it took as it had washed away the glue to leave a track mark.
Water will always take the path of least resistance...

Good luck.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:36 AM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 247 Posts

Thanks this is great information. Wow I am surprised to hear that velvet strip is riveted. I’m not sure my needs replacing but I’m curious to know if it uses a somewhat common blind rivet one can get from McMaster Carr or similar or is it something else?
Old 05-14-2020, 04:21 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 399 Posts

Thanks this is great information. Wow I am surprised to hear that velvet strip is riveted. I’m not sure my needs replacing but I’m curious to know if it uses a somewhat common blind rivet one can get from McMaster Carr or similar or is it something else?
My Indy recently replaced the felts on my 964 and it stopped the leaks by the passenger door. I’m not exactly sure of the process, but don’t be daunted by the rivets. Great input from 964George.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:25 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

When you have an air powered rivet setter you look FORWARD to rivets. But I have come across some that require weird mandrels etc and that's less fun.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:24 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 242 Posts

What I don't like about the rivets on the felts is I can't think of a way to remove the old ones without having half the rivet fall into the body of the car never to be recovered.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:36 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 275 Likes on 161 Posts

I just installed these felts on my car nothing special about the rivets
Old 05-15-2020, 02:50 AM
willmip
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by spartansix
What I don't like about the rivets on the felts is I can't think of a way to remove the old ones without having half the rivet fall into the body of the car never to be recovered.
This.....

Mine need replacing but I've been putting it off for this reason (among others)
Old 05-15-2020, 11:17 AM
964George
Burning Brakes

The thought of drilling out the rivets filled me with dread as I had visions of the drill bit going straight through the roof!!!
But to be honest it wasn't that bad at all and no additional air holes were created

Unfortunately drilling out the old rivets, will leave you with some shrapnel inside, but there is nothing you can do about that. but I've not heard anything rattling.
I think the parts catalog lists the rivet size required, but I used 3.2 x 8mm aluminum rivets by Rapid, to fit metal thickness of 2-4mm, even came with a drill bit which I used to drill out the old ones.
You can get these on Amazon pretty cheap.

Installing velvet strips is easy, I used a standard hand rivet gun and just worked from the bottom up just taking my time and getting it aligned.

If you check your velvet strips and find they are split, then they need replacing as there is a good chance they'll let water past.

Hope this helps, just giving back for all the sound advice I've received on this forum.

Old 05-15-2020, 11:26 AM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for this description George, much appreciated. I don't see any visible splits in my velvet strips. How would you describe the new seals, are they plush and squishy or basically flat with no give when pressed? Hard to tell if mine have gone hard like the sunroof velvet did or basically okay.

It rained a decent amount last night and I'm bone dry inside. I need to get it on the highway in the rain to see if this is an in-motion problem. Or maybe no problem at all and rob was right, the water just hung out for 4 months (!?) but its hard for me to wrap my head around not seeing any condensation on windows, smelling any skunkyness etc.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:14 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Rained a bunch last nite. Made a point of taking the car on the highway in the middle of it then parking outside. This morning the rear is dry. But. The frunk has some water!? I replaced the seal and cleaned out the front drain weeps when I did so this needs further examination.

pic taken much later in the day. There was more water in the am.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:05 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 428 Likes on 278 Posts

Water in the frunk is likely coming from up above. Check the corner tears on the frunk seal. They can be fixed
Old 05-16-2020, 09:19 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Its a new seal. My spider sense is its coming in around the latch.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:32 PM
964George
Burning Brakes

Its a new seal. My spider sense is its coming in around the latch.
Is the bonnet seal from a Porsche main dealer or an indie?

To be honest though, both are not great!
They just don’t seem to fit right...

The top part that is supposed to be pressed against the actual bonnet to form the water tight seal, appears oversized so will stick out.
You can see it in the panel gap between the bonnet and front wing/fender.
If water lands on the part of the seal sticking out then it’s game over as it’s going to get into the frunk.
Water will also run down the edge of the bonnet until it hits the parts of seal sticking out, then it’ll run inside.

Ive gone through 3 new bonnet seals trying to get one that fits right
Still not 100%...

Quick Reply: Water passenger rear footwell