Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water passenger rear footwell

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 10:42 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 428 Likes on 278 Posts

I have a perfect set of rear quarter windows with seals in my attic - you can take a look if you like. The quarter window seals are super easy if you have to do them...
Old 05-12-2020, 07:20 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 247 Posts

I removed the wet insulation out of the rear foot well and see an open hole next to what I believe is the battery positive cable. I tried my best to photograph it here using a shop light to call attention to it.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:23 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Another
Old 05-12-2020, 07:30 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Interesting .

Makes sense. But why?
Old 05-12-2020, 07:33 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

I cant picture gallons entering from that hole but what do i know. Was this originally grommeted? Taped? Neither?
Old 05-12-2020, 08:20 PM
Goughary
Race Car

I have no idea. I've never looked for a hole there.

So that begs the question for someone who knows - is that a factory hole? Or is that something someone did...
Old 05-12-2020, 08:22 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

My car - and others I've looked at photos of - feature several holes with factor installed tape closing them off. The frunk I know for sure, and I think on the chassis rail under the pass seat. Wouldn't be surprised if this is another instance. Can anyone get under their car and have a look?
Old 05-12-2020, 09:04 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 399 Posts

Sadly I'm intimately familiar with this area of the car. The hole your\'re looking at is a drain plug. Possibly opened up by prior owner to let the water drain out? The plot only thickens...

Note drain hole by the batter cable here

And here
Old 05-12-2020, 09:12 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

The plugs are the small ones at the bottom. They're the only plugs I couldn't find a part number for. I can confirm that a few ounces of water can enter from that hole, but you'd have to drive in a Monsoon to take on any substantial water.
Old 05-13-2020, 02:19 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

I have plenty of grommets I can use to plug the holes - that or close them off for good with seam sealer. Do the little triangular plugs in your photo allow water to drain like the headlight / frunk plugs?
Old 05-13-2020, 03:45 PM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

I also started by chasing a leak and ended up completely stripping the interior of everything!!!
Here's my story
On mine, water seemed to pool in-between the seat and sill, plus both front and rear areas showed signs of water.
The sunroof drains were clear, free flowing and all connected, so not the issue.
The door seals didn't seem to be leaking as the carpet on the sills were dry.
The heater duct elbow up under the dash was wet, so a new bonnet seal was installed, which seemed to cure the problem, but then it started again!
So this is the point that I stripped out most of the sound deadening and carpet from the floor and sills for a better inspection.
The heater duct elbow was still dry, but it seemed to be coming from the front...
As the history file showed details of a previous windscreen repair, I didn't go this route and the scuttle was ruled out for now.
So the next option was to remove the front wings/fenders in case of hidden rust issues, but only surface rust was found and sorted.
Then just by chance one day whilst driving in the rain, I noticed a slight trickle of water coming from the front bottom corner of the door seal...
On closer inspection it was a combination of two things;
  1. The door seal was old and gone hard, so it wasn't doing it's job properly...
  2. The Velvet door strips at the top of the door opening had perished and were allowing water past.
Once the velvet strip was replaced, water couldn't get to the door seal and so the leak issue was solved!!!
I've been running it without a door seal for a while and I've had no leaks at all, so once my new seal is installed we'll be belts and braces.
Plus I've since had all the window seal area's sorted and deleted the sunroof, which is another story.

The side effect of all this water ingress for an unknown period of time, is rust!
My floor pan was showing signs of rust issues and the half ripped out carpet looked terrible, so I've gone full strip out...
I've removed all of the sound deadening, carpet, front seats, centre console, rear seats, rear side cards and parcel shelf.
I then set about cleaning off all the old glue, dirt and grim from the shell, which has lead me onto the paint and sealant removal from the floor pan.
This is where I'm at now, it's a bit daunting at first, but Foxman convinced me to do it and I'm glad I did, because I also found rust lurking under the factory sealant.
It's also a good lockdown project to keep idle hands busy.

Oh yea, I also couldn't find a part number for those cone shaped grommets, which are solid by the way.
I did find some that looked identical from a Bug spares shop, but when they arrived were about a tenth of the size
So if anyone knows the part number, please let us know.
The following users liked this post:
911Jetta (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 03:53 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for sharing that experience. I too have felt that the carpet on the sills is completely dry which discouraged me from considering the door seals as source of leak. Did you figure out where the water was flowing that it evaded your detection as a damp carpet?

Is #10 the part that solved it for you ?

Old 05-13-2020, 03:56 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

This?

Old 05-13-2020, 08:57 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by r-mm
I have plenty of grommets I can use to plug the holes - that or close them off for good with seam sealer. Do the little triangular plugs in your photo allow water to drain like the headlight / frunk plugs?
Precisely.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:07 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Foxman
Precisely.
wait so are the plugs solid or draining type?

Quick Reply: Water passenger rear footwell