Dash to top door trim cover gap

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 01:09 PM
Black964cab
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Dash to top door trim cover gap

Hi All,

I recently purchased a black 964 Cab tip. I have slowly been fixing small things here and there (Like missing interior screws and various buttons and levers) but now its time to tackle some larger, and possibly more expensive projects. One that has me stumped is my door trim top covers. They seem....... to small. There is a large gap at the top between the window and the cover (I could be just missing a seal) in addition, the space between where the top cover meets the dashboard is almost an inch or larger when the door is closed (See pictures with arrows). While the covers technically fit in terms of the screw locations to the door panel, they just seem small. I'm wondering if the originals have been replaced with ones from an older car or different model 964 (it seems the interior has been piecemealed together which im slowly undoing) as there doesn't seem to be a way to adjust the gap. It wouldn't also surprise me if its the dash pad that's wrong or not fitted correctly either.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help

Gap between the top cover and window glass.

Dash/Top cover gap, drivers side

Dash/Top cover gap, passenger side
Old 05-04-2020, 05:10 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

The gaps in my car interior aren’t much different.
The following users liked this post:
Black964cab (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 05:13 PM
Black964cab
Advanced

Awesome! thanks for the details. I thought I was going mad. I saw a few 964 pictures out there that didn't have that wide a gap. Looks like its normal.

Thanks again
Old 05-04-2020, 05:13 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 325 Posts

I'm not certain of this but I think those things tend to shrink with age/exposure to sun/heat. I've seen it vary on lots of cars, but i've seen plenty where they've shrunken so much, they start to split. My assumption is that the foam underneath the leather/vinyl starts to degrade like any other 30 year old foam and it starts to shrink.

But whatever the reason it's common and almost all of our cars have some version of it so I wouldn't let it bother you much.
The following users liked this post:
Black964cab (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 05:36 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Also super easy to adjust if you want to make it fit better. Take off the plastic end cap facing the dash and you’ll see 2 screws that you can loosen. Those screw into 2 plastic receivers that slide up down. Pretty self explanatory from there.

also remove the small plastic cap at the other end of the trim piece and loosen that screw at the same time. That screws goes into a metal speed nut that also slides. Between all that I got my upper trim to sit really nicely with the window, door panel, and dash.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:43 PM
Black964cab
Advanced

Thanks for the reply titleistaddict87. I had the door trim off over the weekend as I accidently dropped the inner nut from the door mirror into the door. It went straight through the small hole in the doors that the mirrors connect too... What are the chances? So I'm now intimately (although unintentionally) familiar with the components you speak of . I will play around with it tonight and report back.

Thanks again everyone for the help.

Quick Reply: Dash to top door trim cover gap