Sponsored by:

ABS light on after bumpy roads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 02:25 AM
poorscheC2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS light on after bumpy roads?

Last year every so often my abs light will come on along with the warning light and chime. It happens only after going over a very rough road or a small pot hole. After the car is turned off and restarted the light is gone untill the next section of wonderful Ohio roads. It does not happen all the time but I am trying to get all the little things fixed before spring. Also my brake pads are worn to the point that the pad sensor light is on. I have ordered new rotors, pads, sensors, shims, and hoses. I am just wondering if worn brakes could be the cause or if I am off to the dealership for a scan with the hammer. Thanks, Steve
Old 03-08-2004, 03:13 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Steve:

Well sir, there is no question that a Hammer scan will likely tell what is triggering your ABS light. I'd guess that either you have a loose Wheel Speed sensor connector or a dirty sensor that simply need cleaning (using a brush and brake cleaner).

An accumulation of brake dust will bridge the gap between the sensor wheel at the hub and the sensor triggering an ABS fault.

I would pull your wheels and thoroughly spray each wheel Speed sensor clean with a can of Brake Cleaner. That might do the trick.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:54 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Steve, (one with the C2 that is)
If your rotors are worn below minimum then yes they can set off the ABS warn. It can be connector problems as well of course. However the relationship with worn rotors and ABS warn was discovered by Porsche quite some time ago. My recommendation is to fix your braking system up first and if the fault persists then use torublehsooting techniques. Do not forget to carry out an inspection of each sensor when you have the rotors off you never know what you might find and give them a precautionary clean as well.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 03-08-2004, 12:12 PM
poorscheC2
Intermediate

Thanks for the input guys, I hope it its something simple, I have yet to have to take my car to the dealership yet, I'm more of a DIY guy. Adrian, I look forward to recieving your book, I ordered it from Barnes and Noble. I have read nothing but good things about it. Thanks agian, Steve
Old 03-08-2004, 01:09 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve,

Take a look at the chassis ground connector for the ABS controller in the trunk (passenger side). I had a very similar (if not the exact same) problem last year, turned out to be oxide on the ground connector. A little wire brushing of the connector, and things have been fine since.

One more symptom I had was the speedo jumping when I hit bumps in the road.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Quick Reply: ABS light on after bumpy roads?