Sponsored by:

My first 964 maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 04:28 PM
LuckyNLife
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My first 964 maintenance

Back in January I bought my first Porsche. A 1992 964 Targa C2. Up until now have been doing all the repairs listed on the PPI. CV joint boots, cracked fog light lens, reverse light switch, blower resistor, front struts, brake and clutch fluid flush, steering boots and windshield washers check valves. Last weekend and this weekend I set out to do a full maintenance which included to replacing the spark plugs, spark plug wires, coils, distributor cap, rotors, transmission oil, engine oil, oil filter and fuel filter, replace the belts, clean the ICV and adjust the valves. I have completed all of it except the belts because when I tried to remove the nuts off of the fan flywheel one stud broke off. The studs don's seem to be not available at all and my local Porsche deal did stock the replacement M6-10x30 Allen socket bolt. So, I need to wait a few days before they come in and I can finish up the work.

This is my first experience completing what is easy maintenance on all the cars I previously owned, but a big job on the Porsche. The spark plug wires were extraordinarily painful to do. Routing the wires were a big pain. The valves were difficult at first, but went quickly once I got the hang of it. I used both frontside and backside methods to double check my work. Using the backside method really helped me get the feel of resistance to expect when doing a frontside adjustment. Did all of them and then did another round checking my work. I was a little concerned to find the none of the valves were in spec. All of them were tight. It ranged from a little tight, to 1 and 6 cylinders having barely any gap. According the the PO's records, the valves were last adjusted 6 years and 14,000 miles ago. Is this normal? I am both excited and nervous about the first startup after doing this work. The car ran well before this, I just wanted to know the maintenance was done to keep careful track going forward and honestly get to know the car a bit better. I will post again when I get her back on the road.
Old 04-19-2020, 04:37 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 127 Likes on 105 Posts

Congrats!! A fellow targa owner here with a ‘90 C2 and have been embarking on a similar journey though less far along than you are. One thing I would add to your list is sending the fuel injectors out for cleaning and refurb. One of the best and cheapest things you can do for the car to make it really hum. Mine were all dripping to fair before and now all flow excellent and within 1% of each other. The difference while driving is substantial - even and smooth power delivery that makes the car feel factory fresh.
The following users liked this post:
LuckyNLife (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 06:56 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Impressive that you’ve finished that much work in such a short period of time! Post up some pictures when you get the chance, would love to see the Targa.
The following users liked this post:
LuckyNLife (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 09:54 PM
LuckyNLife
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

In response to:
Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Post up some pictures when you get the chance, would love to see the Targa.

Our first topless ride

PPI

Adjusting valves

Quick Reply: My first 964 maintenance