Sponsored by:

Cigaret lighter socket question

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2021, 04:10 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by sooner964
@mundo-kombi what is the simple trick to removing the lighter plug? I found an old thread dating back to 2002 that describes a procedure and I'm curious if it is the same as yours? Thanks!
Check my post 1381 https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...refurb-93.html
The following users liked this post:
sooner964 (12-19-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 04:24 PM
sooner964
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Thanks @John McM I appreciate the link!
Old 12-27-2021, 12:05 PM
mark lintott
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mundo-kombi
I've just ditched the cigarette lighter altogether, maybe that is something you may consider. I was looking for a fitted USB-C socket and found one on Amazon that provided 1 x USB-C, 1 x standard USB QC 3.0 and a handy LED votage display.

I removed the stock cigarette lighter socket (there is a simple trick to removing it, ask me how if you want to know) and my new USB socket fitted exactly in the hole left in the dash, no modification was needed and it's easy enough to revert back to the OG cigarette lighter at a later date. Wiring was easy, just a switched live (P-CONT from the stereo for example) and an earth.

Here it is fitted, apologies for the poor quality, foto taken at night with flash....

Blanking plates replaces a stereo head unit. Fitted with a controller for a Bluetooth Kenwood amplifier, negating the need for a traditional head unit.
Sorry to go back 2 years to the original post. While I like the idea to substitute the cig lighter with USB sockets I'm actually more interested in the Kenwood you have installed in the radio position next door. Do you have more info on this? I really like the minimal appearance as I find ICE is too much to do with filling the space or blinding with lights etc. Generally I only ever use it to plug in my phone for navigation and control the sounds etc via the phone anyway.

Thanks

Mark

Quick Reply: Cigaret lighter socket question