Car audio guys... get in here

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 10:09 AM
964Lovac
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Car audio guys... get in here

Hey all-
I was installing some pieces in my 964 and when I removed the floormats to check out how the passenger side foam looked like (time to get my full race floor mats installed here, too) -- I noticed this crazy wire bundle that looks like it belongs to the radio.

Surely this isn't stock? I did rip out some cables from the frunk years ago. Any tips on how I should remove this while keeping my radio working? It looks like it all plugs into this black box... is that a stock part?

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-31-2020, 12:12 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

not stock. the plugs may be?
Old 01-31-2020, 12:16 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Looks like someone bypassed the factory amp (black box) and ran the speaker wires directly to the head unit. Nice that they at least left the cut-off connectors zip-tied to the wires, though adapters for those connectors would have been easy to source and avoided cutting. This was probably done at a pro stereo shop and not a homemade hack.

Any modern head unit is likely better than that amp, so no reason to change anything. I'd leave it as-is unless you wanted to add an amp and reroute the wiring.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:11 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 247 Posts

Yes the black box is the original Blaupunkt amp. Tore makes a very handy harness that goes from a modern headunit to the factory speaker connections that previously went into the underseat amp. It effectively duplicates your setup but is likely better made. I just installed this and removed my amp. You can then either remove or abandon the 8 pin DIN to DIN connection that previously brought line level signal from the factory headunit to amp (visible in lower left of my photo).

https://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php...fi-bypass.html
Old 02-01-2020, 02:57 PM
964Lovac
Rennlist Member

Thank you guys for all the info.
I have a Porsche CR-201 (stock radio from the 993).

I will be installing track mats here and want to clean it up, should I just keep as is? Just seems like A LOT of wires ha!
Old 02-01-2020, 03:20 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

I can’t exactly see from your photo what is connected to what but one way or another eight conductors need to run from the head unit to the area under the passenger seat. These are either bringing line level signal usually via the DIN connector or they are bringing speaker level signal it appears someone has modified your set up that way. I had a CD2 in my car which only had line level output. Maybe your head unit has both and somebody bypassed the amp? Either way there is certainly nothing wrong with wires being there I would try to protect them a little better you can purchase some Tesa brand harness tape I believe it is very close to what the factory used that will protect and clean up those wires.
Old 02-01-2020, 05:45 PM
TxnBluDvl
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by -nick
Looks like someone bypassed the factory amp (black box) and ran the speaker wires directly to the head unit. Nice that they at least left the cut-off connectors zip-tied to the wires, though adapters for those connectors would have been easy to source and avoided cutting. This was probably done at a pro stereo shop and not a homemade hack.

Any modern head unit is likely better than that amp, so no reason to change anything. I'd leave it as-is unless you wanted to add an amp and reroute the wiring.
EDIT: Ah, nice -- see below that Tore makes one.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:39 PM
964Lovac
Rennlist Member

That's super handy. I will pick this up! Thank you.
I was hoping to make it look more stock - just seems like way too many wires.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:41 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

I think you're referring to the Tesa tape - a great tool for many Porsche repairs.

If you were referring to Tore's harness just be aware its specifically designed for the Conti radio or others that use similar connectors so likely not suitable for the factory headunit...
Old 02-02-2020, 02:14 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Unless your passengers are often angry and wearing golf shoes, that wiring job is perfectly fine You'll find the other end of the amp din-cable disconnected behind your radio, if you decide to look.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:25 PM
964Lovac
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by r-mm
I think you're referring to the Tesa tape - a great tool for many Porsche repairs.

If you were referring to Tore's harness just be aware its specifically designed for the Conti radio or others that use similar connectors so likely not suitable for the factory headunit...
It was to the Tesa tape. I've been interested in picking up one of the Continental radios he sells, mainly for the bluetooth, but it isn't a priority right now.

Originally Posted by -nick
Unless your passengers are often angry and wearing golf shoes, that wiring job is perfectly fine You'll find the other end of the amp din-cable disconnected behind your radio, if you decide to look.
Ha! Good to know. I'll wrap it up with tesa tape and tuck it away when I install the track mat!

Thanks all
Old 02-02-2020, 02:36 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Gotcha. And not to take business from him but the radios are domestically available see ECS. They are totally excellent. Had one in my E30 and just added one to my 964.

Quick Reply: Car audio guys... get in here