Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver's side key works mechanism inside door but door doesn't lock or unlock

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 05:37 PM
rpsutherland2
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver's side key works mechanism inside door but door doesn't lock or unlock

Originally posted to the wrong forum. Anyway, my driver's side key turns the mechanism inside door. but it doesn't lock or unlock the door. I can lock and unlock both doors with an aftermarket remote. Seems I must have a broken or missing part but I don't see it in the diagrams. I've attached a few photos in hopes that someone can see what I don't.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Robert
Old 01-12-2020, 06:49 PM
RyanH.
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 168 Posts

That white wire is for the microswitch. When the microswitch breaks, the lock mechanism will rotate with key but won't unlock the door. Check the connection at the bottom of the door and make sure it's fully connected. If so, then the nub in the switch most likely went kaput.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:59 PM
rpsutherland2
Rennlist Member

Ryan -
Thanks for your help!
Any idea what the part number might be ('91 C4) or do I need to buy the whole lock assembly?
Robert
Old 01-12-2020, 08:00 PM
RyanH.
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 168 Posts

Yeah, I had to replace mine a couple months ago:

964-613-134-00
Old 01-12-2020, 11:28 PM
rpsutherland2
Rennlist Member

Got it!
Thanks so much.......
Old 01-12-2020, 11:31 PM
rpsutherland2
Rennlist Member

Got it.
Thanks so much.....
Old 03-22-2020, 04:59 PM
rpsutherland2
Rennlist Member

Well, the microswitch didn't fix my problem. For anyone, or if anyone, ever has the same problem, there's a sleeve that fits on top of the lock cylinder and trips the microswitch. Mine had disappeared. Luckily, I had an old door handle and cannibalized the sleeve from it. Works perfectly now. Take care removing the lock cylinder from the door. Keep it in a vertical position so the tumblers don't fall out and be sure the sleeve is positioned so the notch will trip the microswitch.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:00 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 343 Posts

I actually do have the same problem and am about to dig into it during this COVID-19 garage time. Do you happen to have the part # for the sleeve you're talking about? I can't quite tell in the PET.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:47 AM
joshw
Track Day

duplicate post
Old 05-15-2020, 12:52 AM
joshw
Track Day

Just wondering if you had any luck repairing your 964 door locks as I'm experiencing a similar problem. I can manually lock the passenger door from the interior but can't lock either the drivers or passenger door from the central power locking system or via a key. When I hit the central power locking button I can hear the power locking system in the door click but it doesn't actually lock the door. I assume there is a part loose or missing but don't know where to look. I would really appreciate any help you could provide, thanks
Old 05-15-2020, 01:10 AM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joshw
Just wondering if you had any luck repairing your 964 door locks as I'm experiencing a similar problem. I can manually lock the passenger door from the interior but can't lock either the drivers or passenger door from the central power locking system or via a key. When I hit the central power locking button I can hear the power locking system in the door click but it doesn't actually lock the door. I assume there is a part loose or missing but don't know where to look. I would really appreciate any help you could provide, thanks

unfortunately in my case it has turned out to be something electrical in the wiring before it gets to the door. The unit under the dash works and the micro switch on the door lock, the actuator and all that is working fine.

first thing is to check that lock control unit under the passenger side of the dash. The directions on how to test it are available in adrians book.

if that works properly, next easiest thing to do is pull the door card off, check for anything obvious like the threaded plastic ball ends being broken or worn.

If mechanically it looks correct, then use the multimeter to test the micro switch and a 12v source to test the actuator to make sure it works.

most likely your problem will be discovered by now but if not you’re probably in a similar boat to me and auto electrical isn’t my bag. So mines going to TLG next week. Marco will definitely figure it out so I’ll post back once he gets to the bottom of it.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:17 AM
joshw
Track Day

Thanks for the reply Daryl.

When you lock your doors with a key, can you hear the actuator click? Mine clicks and sounds like its functioning perfectly, but the lock just doesn't engage.

I don't have Adrian's book, do you know if there are directions online to help diagnose the lock control unit?

Thanks
Josh
Old 06-12-2021, 12:24 PM
M Istery
5th Gear

Default Porsche 964 - Driver door lock mechanically does not close

Hi everyone, I've seen a number of posts on driver door not locking but they all seem to talk about electrical issues. In my case, the central locking mechanism and key seem to operate correctly, trying to close the door, but the system seems mechanically jammed - I cannot close the door when I even try to pull/push on the shaft that is linked to the interior door panel rotating mechanical door locking wheel. Any thought? I slightly unscrewed by mistake one of the screws that are on the side of the door when I tried earlier to readjust the position of the door as it was not closing properly. Could this have gotten the mechanism out of position and jammed it somehow? Does anyone have a diagram explaining how that mechanism is supposed to work - very hard to see what is going on inside the door ... appreciate very much any help
Old 10-02-2021, 03:42 PM
Rubikonn
Banned

Have you found the solution?
Old 10-05-2021, 03:17 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rubikonn
Have you found the solution?
For mine it ended up being the control unit under the dash. It made the noises it should when activated but had some internal soldering issues apparently. Once replaced, it worked as expected.

Quick Reply: Driver's side key works mechanism inside door but door doesn't lock or unlock