Sponsored by:

Latest on Fuel Injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 03:08 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Latest on Fuel Injectors?

Looking to get my injectors cleaned vs. replaced. Have heard great things about WitchHunters, RC Fuel Injection and others. Wondering if there is any compelling reason to fork up the $ to replace vs clean / renew? Don't know how much injector tech has changed over the last 30 years as I'm guessing my current injectors are original to the car. I hear the 4-spray of the Bosch Design 3 is better. Any advice for a stock engine would be greatly appreciated. Here are the part numbers I've come up with for OEM replacement but don't know if these are 4-spray or not.

Porsche: 911-606-120-01
Bosch: 0-280-150-731
Old 01-07-2020, 05:26 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

I think that it is rare that an injector can't be brought back to its original spec by cleaning (witchhunter, etc. service). Changing to a different injector requires a matching ecu chip. Not impossible, but not very useful unless you're maxing out the stock injectors.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:15 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Cruzin Performance is another place I've used multiple times, always fast turn around time and excellent service:

https://www.cruzinperformance.com/
Old 01-07-2020, 06:17 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Don’t replace them, they’ll be as good as new serviced. I’ve used RC a few times in SoCal. Great turn around and service. They are my shops go-to.

If you want a more modern injector its possible youll need to have the engine tuned to optimize them. And, the moronic has some limits as to what it can handle.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:22 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Great info and just watched the video from RC Fuel Injection. Seems like a quality outfit and will measure each injector with a voltmeter before sending just in case the coils are bad on one and need replacement.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:40 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

I'm using these on my track build with twin turbo 993 engine. Great quality product nicely matched and reasonably priced. You will need to get additional clips from them to hold the injectors to the rails though. I'm also doing a full ECU upgrade

​​​​​​http://injectordynamics.com/injectors/id1050x/

I agree with the others though no need for changing from stock unless you plan to take it further.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:23 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Just wanted to provide some feedback. Spoke with Wayne at RC Fuel Injection yesterday and will be sending to him for cleaning. Will post back with results and my experience.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:23 PM
Blu RS
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Cobalt for bringing our attention to these injectors from Bosch/Injector Dynamics. (BTW, good luck with the track build engine!). They're certainly "new" to me and look interesting. I see they offer a set for our 964/993 based engines which brings up several questions.
1.Is the essence of improved flow from these injectors not only more than enabling greater injection volume but also better flow sensitivity/responsiveness? The presumption would be that better injector sensitivity/responsiveness would provide improved (smoother?) throttle actuation that could be felt by the driver, no? I suppose there is an analogous comparison to audio speaker responsiveness which is a desirable flat frequency response where what goes in regarding input most closely matches what goes out without enhancements or drops throughout the range.
2. If, for the sake of argument, someone bought the above injectors and did a plug and play on a basically stock 964/993 that already easily meets California smog requirements, what would the likely impact be on the smog test, if any? Can one say with certainty that the injectors would run too rich out of the box? (Sorry, but I'm way too ignorant to draw a performance tech spec comparison of these versus stock Bosch injectors.). Has that been tried already? If so, then in theory could a Steve Wong chip bring them into compliance or for sure would a more advanced ECU be required? Just curious as to the answers even though I won't be trying to install these on my existing 964 engine but likely a future custom built engine.
3. Single orifice or multiple orifice?

Old 01-11-2020, 12:14 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Their chart is deceiving. That is just saying that the injectors will fit in their location, length and orifice sizes. I had to zizzy a little bit off the intakes to bolt the injector in place and have a tight seal although I am using 993 RS intakes and they might be a bit taller. They also require cutting the connectors and using the ones they provide. If you take your time you can cut the ends off without losing much if any wire length. I am using a Haltech 2500 elite instead of the motronic although I am not sure why you could not get Steve to burn you a chip that would adjust the duty cycle and work. You would need access to a dyno and a way to copy the file to send to him to make adjustments. I wouldn't get too caught up on the single or multiple orifice for our applications. IIRC they have a conical spray pattern which should work fine. These will hold a tighter tolerance over the 6 injectors matching flow more evenly than the stock tolerances which is something like 13% variation across the 6 vs something like 4%.

I am slowly getting closer to finishing my engine. I have been in no rush as I nurture my torn rotator cuff back to health. Track season is coming up quickly so I need to now put the pressure on to finish. I will post my findings when I get to that stage, although I am essentially rebuilding the entire car. Engine, suspension, ABS etc.

Old 01-11-2020, 01:01 PM
wallra
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

they also make an adapter for the injector plug. no need to cut harness https://lmr.com/item/LRS-9593-EV1K/f...-%20General&ut
Old 01-11-2020, 01:08 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wallra
they also make an adapter for the injector plug. no need to cut harness https://lmr.com/item/LRS-9593-EV1K/f...-%20General&ut
i'm not going back to stock this engine should pump out close to 500 RWHP.