Sponsored by:

Would you pay 55K for my 1992 c2?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 02:39 PM
911ren20
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacke2c
The two words of truth are: 1. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and 2. is is what the market will bear.
I did a price analysis two or three years ago and I think you have a fair price on your car, however the right person coming along at the right time could be 3-4 months. If you are in a hurry, you will have to take less.

One of my best friends had a Jewish grandmother who had a saying I teach in college; "what the eye hasn't seen, the heart doesn't long for" if you really want to move your car, you need to post it as many places as possible adjusting your price for the associated selling fees. craigslist, e-bay, rennlist, pelican, local paper, trade papers, cars and coffees and so on. five six years ago, I had listed mine for some different reasons and had a firm offer in 24 hours but I came to my senses and turned down the offer and am I ever glad that I did.
Thanks you Jacke2c for sharing your perspective.

I am ready to move on. The car is officially for sale.

while the car remains unchanged since I asked the price question. There has been a slight scuff added to the front bumper and hood. It's very minimal, only cosmetic. No dents or dings. Driver not paying attention when parking. I would have them corrected before selling. but paint shops are closed. I am reaching out to different outlets to see if they can fix it. But buyer can opt to buy as is.

$55k
The following users liked this post:
9SIX4-C4 (04-19-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 03:45 PM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 249 Posts

A thorough PPI from a refutable dealer or Indy will dictate the true price for this car if it's still available.
Old 04-17-2020, 05:49 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 143 Posts

I think your ask is reasonable. Like Cobalt has already documented, Porsche didn't build a lot of U.S. spec 964s. Even few from 92-94. Plus Singer has thinned those numbers.
9SIX4-C4 (04-19-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 09:30 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,305 Posts

I know the car from several years ago although haven't seen it recently. Didn't realize who was selling initially. If all is as it was this is no $40k car and based on what others are are selling for within the past few days this car is at a very reasonable asking price if not below market.

GL K
9SIX4-C4 (04-19-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 09:30 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
The world has changed since your initial post. Miles, color, mods, no Cup 1’s puts this in the mid to upper 40’s range IMO.
Yes, the world has changed, but the car has not (or not much anyway). Uncertainty about the economy in the long run will affect the sale price more than anything else. I wouldn't even know if holding on for now makes more sense or selling now makes more sense.

So there is no harm in trying, but the price discussion from earlier this year would be a bit less relevant today I think.

To OP: GLWS though. Somebody will end up with a nice example, based on your assessment of the car.
Old 04-18-2020, 12:22 PM
lbpa18
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Fellas, Im new here. So take this for what it's worth. I have recently acquired 964 Cab ( I have other hard top vehicles). It was exactly what I have been searching for. Im happy with everything about the way it came. However, it took a few years of daily watching several sites and educating myself before I found the right fit. That included a couple PPIs paid for and happily walked away from. I have also collected some other non-P cars and have been a pretty serious market watcher for years. I guess my view is more objective based upon looking from the outside in for so long and developing a gut feel. And, it is only one guy's opinion, one that I share but am not trying to push.

This is a beautiful car in the care of a loving and knowledgeable owner, one I strongly suspect will regret the day he sold this for eons to come. But life gets in the way and there is apparently a rational need. It isnt being dumped. Availability and good bones; the 964 cars arent really that numerous. It is acceptable now and so popular to hot rod these, or at least personalize them, that it might change the market this appeals to but I dont think it will diminish the interest. It wont be long that because so many of these have been modified that non-mods will be the ones to have or be seen in. Associated with this, there is going to be a market for all that original equipment removed. But right now, this car is a hot item.

In today's financial environment, some potential buyers may have stepped back either waiting until their portfolios flesh out again, or they regain confidence. But there are others so well established financially that crash isnt a factor for them and they might see this as the prime time. Yes, I think the price will get severely "negotiatied". But with one exception, this is a very desirable car. It just needs a PPI to prove its not a gamble. If the bones are good, its still a desirable car that will hold value. As far as the engine having a lot of miles, there isnt anything magic about the Porsche engine. They are rebuilt everyday just like every other brand. Yes, they are a fortune to do especially when the inevitable decision to upgrade components or performance comes in. This one may not need one, but its more likely not far off. If the PPI comes back sound, I dont think this needs to be marketed at a serious discount. As has been said, other cars that needed far more in other areas but had lower miles have gone for high prices and we all acknowledge the prices on these are everywhere.

These are an emotional purchase. This car appeals to that emotion in spades. Id keep the price high and wait. I have only one disagreement on suggested marketing and that deals with Craigslist. You want to sell to a knowledgable enthusiast, one looking for that car. CL just brings out the tire kickers. I would market it on the higher end normal places that Porsche folks tend to watch. BaT would be at the top of my list and there I feel it would achieve its most realistic price, representative of the environment of the day. Good luck. She's a beauty.
9SIX4-C4 (04-19-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 04:02 PM
911ren20
Rennlist Member

Very sound perspective. congrat on getting the car. It's a special one.

The 964 landscape is different now than when it was in 2017 and 2018. Back then when Publication, Instagram, youtube content came out every other 5 minutes about these cars. It was the high tide. I could have sold it back then to capitalize. I didn't do it, because I never wanted to. Life didn't get into the way back then. I was tinkering with the car every day. Educating myself by lurking on rennlist, buying and selling parts to tune the car to what I've envisioned one step at a time. It was the best car experience I had. It is also fair to say I still yet to archive my vision with the car. But it is probably a never-ending journey. our goal changes often.

The knowledgebase about these cars is also all over the place in buyers(not as owners). Each person has his/hers own preconceived notion of what a right is for the given price. I am not arguing with those who offered me 40k. I politely said no.

And a reputable seller discussed with me about what potential buyers are looking for in these cars...stock cup1s, stock interior, stock everything. based on what I've heard. My car is for sure personalized. It may look good to some. but not to most. I think the next step is to put the car back to stock to make it more acceptable to the "originality" department.

I am glad this thread has become a healthy discussion on the assessment of these cars.

Originally Posted by lbpa18
Fellas, Im new here. So take this for what it's worth. I have recently acquired 964 Cab ( I have other hard top vehicles). It was exactly what I have been searching for. Im happy with everything about the way it came. However, it took a few years of daily watching several sites and educating myself before I found the right fit. That included a couple PPIs paid for and happily walked away from. I have also collected some other non-P cars and have been a pretty serious market watcher for years. I guess my view is more objective based upon looking from the outside in for so long and developing a gut feel. And, it is only one guy's opinion, one that I share but am not trying to push.

This is a beautiful car in the care of a loving and knowledgeable owner, one I strongly suspect will regret the day he sold this for eons to come. But life gets in the way and there is apparently a rational need. It isnt being dumped. Availability and good bones; the 964 cars arent really that numerous. It is acceptable now and so popular to hot rod these, or at least personalize them, that it might change the market this appeals to but I dont think it will diminish the interest. It wont be long that because so many of these have been modified that non-mods will be the ones to have or be seen in. Associated with this, there is going to be a market for all that original equipment removed. But right now, this car is a hot item.

In today's financial environment, some potential buyers may have stepped back either waiting until their portfolios flesh out again, or they regain confidence. But there are others so well established financially that crash isnt a factor for them and they might see this as the prime time. Yes, I think the price will get severely "negotiatied". But with one exception, this is a very desirable car. It just needs a PPI to prove its not a gamble. If the bones are good, its still a desirable car that will hold value. As far as the engine having a lot of miles, there isnt anything magic about the Porsche engine. They are rebuilt everyday just like every other brand. Yes, they are a fortune to do especially when the inevitable decision to upgrade components or performance comes in. This one may not need one, but its more likely not far off. If the PPI comes back sound, I dont think this needs to be marketed at a serious discount. As has been said, other cars that needed far more in other areas but had lower miles have gone for high prices and we all acknowledge the prices on these are everywhere.

These are an emotional purchase. This car appeals to that emotion in spades. Id keep the price high and wait. I have only one disagreement on suggested marketing and that deals with Craigslist. You want to sell to a knowledgable enthusiast, one looking for that car. CL just brings out the tire kickers. I would market it on the higher end normal places that Porsche folks tend to watch. BaT would be at the top of my list and there I feel it would achieve its most realistic price, representative of the environment of the day. Good luck. She's a beauty.
Old 04-18-2020, 05:18 PM
Ralph3.
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

If it was me I would go back to the stock spoiler and the cup 1’s if you still have them.
Old 04-18-2020, 11:41 PM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 249 Posts

Hey OP, If I'm in the market for one I'll buy your car at your asking price maybe a little less just for pride with all the stock parts included. Your mods are not obnoxious someone smart will buy it. Good luck.
9SIX4-C4 (04-19-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 04:20 PM
997Pilot
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Short answer yes I would pay near $55,000 IF It had a top end, no leaks and came with cup 1 wheels it originally had. But 165,000 miles, no top end imo and from watching the market I’d have to agree with others it would be somewhere in the $40,000s range. Red is also too common and that rear wing doesn’t look right. Beautiful car though you should probably keep it.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:15 PM
911ren20
Rennlist Member

Here are the photos if anyone cares to see what it looks like.

Last edited by 911ren20; 04-23-2020 at 02:34 AM.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:25 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,823 Likes on 1,110 Posts

4 months here and still for sale. I guess you have your answer. Any buyer will be budgeting for a top end here and that is min 10k. Mid 40s at best.
also the mods feel partially done. Do you have the original parts?
Old 04-23-2020, 01:25 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,762 Likes on 2,361 Posts

if not sold in 2 weeks, you priced it wrong.
a car is of value only to the buyer and seller, until buyer and seller agree on a number, there is no value.
seems very simple to me
it's a car not marriage. a few hours should produce a decision.
maybe you all have too much time?
Old 04-23-2020, 01:30 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,065 Likes on 2,322 Posts

$55k in this economic environment with 165k miles on the clock? Seems a bit ambitious, the slowdown as hit the antiques too.
stutt911 (04-23-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 02:33 AM
911ren20
Rennlist Member

Big thanks those who kept it level. I will make a proper for sale Ad. This was fun while it lasted.

Last edited by 911ren20; 04-23-2020 at 03:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Would you pay 55K for my 1992 c2?