Sponsored by:

Convertible top problems on 91 9 6 4

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 12:40 PM
Jaguar74
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible top problems on 91 9 6 4

I was wondering if anybody knew if there was a way to adjust how far down the front latches pulled the leading edge of the top on the frame. On my car the left side is being pulled down further and so is not flush with the top frame and also the door doesn't want to close because The rubber from the convertible top is impinging on the top of the side window. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Happy holidays and happy New Year to all..

Last edited by Jaguar74; 12-22-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-22-2019, 11:24 PM
Jaguar74
Advanced

Default Anyone pleez?

Can anybody help out?
Old 12-23-2019, 05:12 AM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

On a Targa, and I am not sure if a Convertible works the same way, the latch is held in the frame with two screws. You can adjust the latch by loosening the screws and moving the latch. Again, that works on my Targa but may be a start. Pictures always help here.
Old 12-23-2019, 08:53 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

What you are saying does not make sense to me. The locking device position for the top cam locks on each side of the top of the windshield are in a fixed position which only allow the front of the top to go to a preset position once fastened.
what I think is happening is the rear geared top drives on either side of the top have come out of sync. This will cause the top to twist as it closes. This could give the appearance of one side being lower than the other. But in reality one side has not reached the full extended position.
take another look at the top in the closed position (as far as you are comfortable taking it) and see if one side extends farther forward than the other.
pictures would help to better understand your issue—
one thing that you can try to see if this is the case is to back off the center top drive nuts on the gear drives (each side). This will put the top in manual mode so you can raise and lower by hand. This should also allow the top to align itself as raised and lowered.
There are other areas that can be addressed but try thi first before we start looking else where.
Old 12-23-2019, 07:54 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 428 Likes on 278 Posts

The little cam inside the latch motors determine the stop point for the latches - take those apart and see if they are set properly or if they or the gear they are mounted to are broken. Uro parts makes a gear kit to replace these if there is an issue.

As for the window- take the door card off and adjust the stop for the window height. When these loosen up, the window rises too high and gets in the way of the seal- and then you can only shut the door if the window is partly retracted- I'm going to assume this is the bulk of your problem.
Old 12-23-2019, 08:20 PM
Jaguar74
Advanced

Default Pictures

Left side where not flushti window frame

Right side flush to top of frame
Old 12-23-2019, 08:56 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Ah. You need to first adjust the fore/aft by adjusting the main adjusters in the back. Get those squared away first...and then work on the latch adjustment up front
Old 12-23-2019, 10:24 PM
Jaguar74
Advanced

Originally Posted by Goughtary
Ah. You need to first adjust the fore/aft by adjusting the main adjusters in the back. Get those squared away first...and then work on the latch adjustment up front
Thanks for reply.. how difficult is that? Never messed with top before
Old 12-23-2019, 11:33 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Super easy once you have done it once.

There is a service technik manual that has the explanation of how to seal the top.

But - best thing to do first is to release the pressure. So with the front unlatched, Loosen the adjusters in the back. And then start to realign the rear adjusters until you have the front latches lined up properly to close.

Also- keep in mind that a common problem w these tops is that the drive cables bind up and as they twist tighter, they get too short on the ends. If you pull one drive cable out and you only have a short nub on the square ends- then you need to replace the drive cables. They are expensive for what they are.

When it's back to "right" - the top will be perfect and functional. Don't let all the bad convertible stories scare you into getting rid of the motor drive. They just need to be understood and to be maintained I've time. There is VERY limited expertise out there on the cab tops.
Old 12-24-2019, 01:52 AM
Jaguar74
Advanced

Really grateful for the help.

Quick Reply: Convertible top problems on 91 9 6 4