Frunk Gasket Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 07:07 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts
Default nip that bud...

Originally Posted by dukmon
Well well well.......... a small amount of rust underneath the gasket. Not too bad though, really. Going to clean it up good, treat it then install the new gasket.

Any suggestions?

dunno there, lookin a little deeper than i would be comfortable with just cleaning it up, she's been bitten(?) pretty good...
Old 01-15-2020, 09:24 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,365 Posts

I am seeing a lot of this lately and even more surprisingly seeing a lot more 993's with this and rear window issues that the 964 doesn't have as much of. I would at a min treat it well with a rust inhibitor and try to fix any leaks until it is time to cut out and repair.

At least the 964's don't see it this badly by the rear windows. That is all being cut out and replaced. My friend is doing these on a regular basis now. It appears as the 993 is aging it isn't faring as well as the 964's which usually had a rougher life.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:18 AM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I am seeing a lot of this lately and even more surprisingly seeing a lot more 993's with this and rear window issues that the 964 doesn't have as much of. I would at a min treat it well with a rust inhibitor and try to fix any leaks until it is time to cut out and repair.

At least the 964's don't see it this badly by the rear windows. That is all being cut out and replaced. My friend is doing these on a regular basis now. It appears as the 993 is aging it isn't faring as well as the 964's which usually had a rougher life.

Interesting...small sample size but I have two 993 and one 964. 993 one came from NH and was a driver driven in all conditions (had winter tires when I bought it) it had/had zero rust under the front or rear window. 993 two came from Florida and had zero rust under the front or rear glass when we did a full respray for other reasons. 964 came from Florida has bad rust bubbling up under both front and rear windows that I will need to address ASAP after mechanical refresh. All cars had original glass and no evidence of paint work on the cowl.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:27 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I guess it all depends on how it was stored and cared for. More 964's were allowed to sit outside than 964's as they were the neglected stepchild for so long. My friend has several 993's in his shop now having these issues addressed. He does this on 964's as well although the 993 seems to be surpassing the number of 964's he sees with this issue. It would appear as these all become over 20 years old the design flaws are showing up.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:30 AM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
With detailing product evolution you can get away from using large amounts of water entirely if you trust the following approach to remove dust, bugs and light dirt.
- Start with a California Duster and gently wipe it over all the car surfaces except tires and wheels.
- Spray one panel at a time using a high quality quick detail spray like Griots Speed Shine or Pinnacle Crystal Mist
- Wipe the wet panel with a high quality microfiber like Cobra 530 in a 16 x 24” Size or the Griots grey PFM towel
- Start at the top and work your way down but avoid the rockers and wheel well areas until the very end, once the entire car is clean go back to the rockers and clean them and then the wheel well area.
- Use a separate lower quality microfiber for the wheels and never mix towels, each should be dedicated to a specific task. You can use the same approach for the wheels.

I’ve done this for all my fun cars for the past 15 years and I can promise that if you buy the right products, don’t use microfibers if they drop on the floor, wash Microfibers correctly you can maintain a swirl free paint for years without the need to polish or wash with water.

Water wash can be limited to very heavy surface dirt like after a major rain storm or long drives in the rain. Here is a pic of my Spyder which has been water washed twice in 8.5 years and 18k miles. I did a very light polish about 5 years ago and the paint still looks flawless

Thank you for posting your method. The less water the better for keeping rust away. I only wash maybe 2-3 times per year with hose and buckets method. This is the waterless wash product/method I use. I use the highest quality MF towels (high GSM and edgeless) and buy them in bulk. If the car is wrapped in PPF is works even better as there is zero chance of introducing swirls.

Old 01-15-2020, 01:05 PM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cobalt
I guess it all depends on how it was stored and cared for. More 964's were allowed to sit outside than 964's as they were the neglected stepchild for so long. My friend has several 993's in his shop now having these issues addressed. He does this on 964's as well although the 993 seems to be surpassing the number of 964's he sees with this issue. It would appear as these all become over 20 years old the design flaws are showing up.
Interesting. Do you think it’s related to different paint process at the factory and/or glass design or simply the fact that more 993 were produced than 964?
Old 01-15-2020, 06:45 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brig993
Interesting. Do you think it’s related to different paint process at the factory and/or glass design or simply the fact that more 993 were produced than 964?
Hard to say. Could be any of those or just could be it took this long for it to start showing up. Maybe more new owners who want their cars fixed right instead of just driving them I couldn't tell you. This has been a common problem for 911's for a long time. Seems to be localized not unlike the front cowl of the 964. Also many glass guys don't preserve the area before installation of a replacement windshield which leads to this prematurely. I am seeing more and more 993's needing the service well maintained 964's required about 10 years ago from age.

Afshin,
Didn't anyone tell you it is rude to put your butt in our face. LOL That spyder is stunning.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:49 AM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

Well well well.......... a small amount of rust underneath the gasket. Not too bad though, really. Going to clean it up good, treat it then install the new gasket.

Any suggestions?

Definitely looks like you have issues here and usually what you can see is the tip of the iceberg!!!
Sorry

I've been down this route, water getting in Frunk and Cabin.
My bonnet seal was split in all four corners so thought that was the issue.
Had it replaced but didn't resolve my problem

So had the fenders removed just encase there were bigger rust issues unseen as no signs of rust on the surface!
Once removed it revealed a lot of surface rust under both fenders, but no holes
All treated, fenders and bonnet seal re-installed.
Water still getting in Frunk and Cabin
Turns out I had two issues!

Water in the Frunk now appeared to be due to a poor fitting bonnet seal, by poor fitting, I mean the seal was a pattern part from an indie and not the original article from Porsche.
The cheap seal when compressed by the bonnet lid, caused the seal to stick out past the edge of the bonnet, which when it rains, would mean water can get past the seal...
Don't cheap out on this seal, get it direct from Porsche
The new seal from Porsche fits a lot better but still isn't 100% so I'm investigating further and have an imminent carbon bonnet install that I hope will resolve the issue as it needs to be made to fit.

Water in the cabin was mainly caused by split door velvet strips and old door seals, not from the HVAC area in the Frunk as originally thought...
With the velvet strips replaced, it has pretty much sorted water getting into the cabin, just replacing the door seals now as the old ones were very squished and had lost there springy softness, should be monsoon proof then

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
dukmon (01-16-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 03:58 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 84 Posts

Took a grinder yesterday to get down to good metal, cleaned things up then fabricated some aluminum to cover up any holes caused by the rust. Epoxied in place. Putting the new PORSCHE gasket in later today.

Old 01-16-2020, 05:23 PM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

Took a grinder yesterday to get down to good metal, cleaned things up then fabricated some aluminum to cover up any holes caused by the rust. Epoxied in place. Putting the new PORSCHE gasket in later today.

Not ideal but if you’re going to take this approach then make sure you water test it before installing the bonnet seal!

But I’d definitely recommend getting the fenders removed to check out how bad it is underneath...
Mine only cost £500 which is about $650.

Quick Reply: Frunk Gasket Question