Sponsored by:

Frunk Gasket Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 02:10 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Frunk Gasket Question

Noticed recently that I had a little water in the frunk after a wash with a high pressure hose (was just knocking the dust off at the quarter car wash.) Though I didn't see any obvious degradation or way the water was making it past the gasket, I went ahead and ordered a new one. My question is, will I need a weatherstrip adhesive for installing the new gasket?

Preesh.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:26 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Yes, you will need one.

I use a 3M glue that is yellow.

When the rubber splits in the corners, then you can have some seepage into the trunk. This would not be that much, since the gap is very small, unless it rains for a while and your car spends some time outside.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:52 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Did you do the "talcum power test"? Sprinkle some on the gasket and then spray the water. You'll see where it leaks......
The following users liked this post:
Laker (01-14-2020)
Old 10-30-2019, 02:57 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Hmmmmmmmmmmm............ Have not. I had my wife climb into the frunk, closed it up and drove back to the coin car wash to simulate the exact conditions.

She had a lot to offer me afterwards, but not concerning leaky gaskets.

I'll try the talcum powder test. If it's not the gasket though, what else could it be?
The following 2 users liked this post by dukmon:
911PERVY (10-31-2019), Jacke2c (10-31-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 03:14 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Where's the water in the frunk?
In back, by the gas tank or up front by the spare tire?

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/1053893-more-water-ingress-2.html

Old 10-30-2019, 03:19 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Hey! Right there where the little bit of rust is shown in your photo, right of the gas tank. I keep some rags and a chamois folded and stuck in that small area. Was grabbing one....... that's when I noticed the water.
911Jetta (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 03:28 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dukmon
Hmmmmmmmmmmm............ Have not. I had my wife climb into the frunk, closed it up and drove back to the coin car wash to simulate the exact conditions.

I'll try the talcum powder test. If it's not the gasket though, what else could it be?
If the car was ever in an accident the gasket channel could be slightly bent or the hood tweaked....but more than likely it is the gasket, though it is useful to determine exactly where it's leaking.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:23 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts
Default whoa, dude...

that poor car is gonna have bad dreams.....
Old 10-31-2019, 11:22 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

The gasket has a tendency to split in the corners. I have seen this cause leaks. Usually a little crazy glue and patience you can fix the split and reduce the water although I am not an advocate for pressure washing these cars.
Ralph3. (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 12:13 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

I bet it is one of the corners damaged/split. I haven't had time to have a look since posting the question.

I'm with you on the pressure washing. When I was a kid I had a summer job working for a company that mixed/sold chemicals and industrial pressure washers. I was pressure washing a company truck one day and got a little aggressive with cleaning some bugs off when suddenly the paint bubbled then peeled completely off. Off of a brand new truck.

Some days it's the easiest way for me to knock the dust off though; no soap, just water never close up to trim pieces or anything that could be damaged. The way my home is situate to the carport, I'd have to unreel a hose about 100' across all the wife's plants to rinse the car.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:46 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Where's the water in the frunk?
In back, by the gas tank or up front by the spare tire?

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/1053893-more-water-ingress-2.html
Is this puddle always called by the funk seal? Any other sources that lead to this specific space filling with water?
Old 10-31-2019, 03:54 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I bet it is one of the corners damaged/split. I haven't had time to have a look since posting the question.

I'm with you on the pressure washing. When I was a kid I had a summer job working for a company that mixed/sold chemicals and industrial pressure washers. I was pressure washing a company truck one day and got a little aggressive with cleaning some bugs off when suddenly the paint bubbled then peeled completely off. Off of a brand new truck.

Some days it's the easiest way for me to knock the dust off though; no soap, just water never close up to trim pieces or anything that could be damaged. The way my home is situate to the carport, I'd have to unreel a hose about 100' across all the wife's plants to rinse the car.
With detailing product evolution you can get away from using large amounts of water entirely if you trust the following approach to remove dust, bugs and light dirt.
- Start with a California Duster and gently wipe it over all the car surfaces except tires and wheels.
- Spray one panel at a time using a high quality quick detail spray like Griots Speed Shine or Pinnacle Crystal Mist
- Wipe the wet panel with a high quality microfiber like Cobra 530 in a 16 x 24” Size or the Griots grey PFM towel
- Start at the top and work your way down but avoid the rockers and wheel well areas until the very end, once the entire car is clean go back to the rockers and clean them and then the wheel well area.
- Use a separate lower quality microfiber for the wheels and never mix towels, each should be dedicated to a specific task. You can use the same approach for the wheels.

I’ve done this for all my fun cars for the past 15 years and I can promise that if you buy the right products, don’t use microfibers if they drop on the floor, wash Microfibers correctly you can maintain a swirl free paint for years without the need to polish or wash with water.

Water wash can be limited to very heavy surface dirt like after a major rain storm or long drives in the rain. Here is a pic of my Spyder which has been water washed twice in 8.5 years and 18k miles. I did a very light polish about 5 years ago and the paint still looks flawless

The following 3 users liked this post by Marine Blue:
964George (01-16-2020), cobalt (11-04-2019), dukmon (11-04-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 05:49 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Love the 987 Spyders...
Old 11-01-2019, 01:10 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
With detailing product evolution you can get away from using large amounts of water entirely if you trust the following approach to remove dust, bugs and light dirt.
- Start with a California Duster and gently wipe it over all the car surfaces except tires and wheels.
- Spray one panel at a time using a high quality quick detail spray like Griots Speed Shine or Pinnacle Crystal Mist
- Wipe the wet panel with a high quality microfiber like Cobra 530 in a 16 x 24” Size or the Griots grey PFM towel
- Start at the top and work your way down but avoid the rockers and wheel well areas until the very end, once the entire car is clean go back to the rockers and clean them and then the wheel well area.
- Use a separate lower quality microfiber for the wheels and never mix towels, each should be dedicated to a specific task. You can use the same approach for the wheels.

I’ve done this for all my fun cars for the past 15 years and I can promise that if you buy the right products, don’t use microfibers if they drop on the floor, wash Microfibers correctly you can maintain a swirl free paint for years without the need to polish or wash with water.

Water wash can be limited to very heavy surface dirt like after a major rain storm or long drives in the rain. Here is a pic of my Spyder which has been water washed twice in 8.5 years and 18k miles. I did a very light polish about 5 years ago and the paint still looks flawless
That's excellent info.

My paint is (IMO) the only weak spot with my car. Let's just say it sports a well earned patina. Lots of rock chips, scratches, very thin paint on the sunroof and one spot where some paintwork is pretty noticeable. I went through all the hoops to have it painted this past winter then backed out as the time approached.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:04 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Well well well.......... a small amount of rust underneath the gasket. Not too bad though, really. Going to clean it up good, treat it then install the new gasket.

Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Frunk Gasket Question