Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 suddenly stalling

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 05:10 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I had the same problem a year ago. The first time it happened, I lost power, pulled over, couldn't restart. Changed out DME relay, cranked a more than the usual times, and then the engine started. Drove around that day, no problem. Took the can off the relay and saw what I thought was a cold solder joint, repaired and tested put back as spare. I own a hammer and this event didn't cause any codes.

Next drive a week later I brought my hammer with me, and the engine lost power, and was stumbling as before. Got the hammer going but no codes, and nothing unusual for other readings.

Went home a thought about it, and ordered a new fuel pump and FPR. Two months went by till I could do the job of replacing the FPR, then fuel pump. I saw that I had fuel pressure still at the inlet side of the FPR (hadn't leaked down in 2 months), so I figured that was OK and went to replace the fuel pump. It's a big job (there's a DIY on the Pelican website). The old pump looked good physically, and I didn't test it, but I haven't had a loss of power as before since then. For what it's worth, my fuel tank never goes below a half a tank before I refill.I have the upgraded coils, new dist belt, new spark plug wires, etc.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:14 AM
MKRS
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi!

Just for the record if someone has similar problems: AFM was faulty. During winter time I sent my existing AFM for restoration and changed also the wire which connect to AFM with new one (well, actually took it from old Audi B4 which has the same style of AFM). Now everything works just perfect. Thanks everyone for advice!

MKRS.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:08 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MKRS
Hi!

Just for the record if someone has similar problems: AFM was faulty. During winter time I sent my existing AFM for restoration and changed also the wire which connect to AFM with new one (well, actually took it from old Audi B4 which has the same style of AFM). Now everything works just perfect. Thanks everyone for advice!

MKRS.
Long live online communities and active members particularly. Thanks for the update. Can you provide a bit more info on the cable/plug replacement?

I've suspected the AFM as well... But first will try two things:
1/ the cable to the AFM - as you have done
2/ change the, now perished, connector on my head temp sensor (I think it is the temp sensor anyway)
Old 06-01-2020, 10:54 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

"and second thing- when you sometimes open the fuel tank cup feeling is that there is vacuum too"

Could be as simple as a blocked fuel cap ventilation!

Try to unscrew the fuel cap a bit so you get rid of any vacuum in the tank and se if that helps!!

Quick Reply: 964 suddenly stalling