Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated bolt - how to question

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 09:49 AM
onceover
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a feeling that its not the preload on the flange thats causing it to be so tight. When you have dissimilar metals threaded together you'll get galvanic corrosion, and the parts will want to stick together. Has the car been driven in winter/salty road conditions?

And aluminum is a very good conductor of heat, which is why you're having trouble heating it up. All of the heat is transferring from the plug out to the case.

https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/wh...uct-heat-best/
Old 10-03-2019, 08:09 AM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by onceover
And aluminum is a very good conductor of heat, which is why you're having trouble heating it up. All of the heat is transferring from the plug out to the case.

https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/wh...uct-heat-best/
You are of course correct and I misspoke. I should have said that aluminum is notoriously hard to heat up. Using an induction heater also doesn't help because it doesn't work (well) with aluminum. I don't think I am skilled enough to use a propane torch so close the all the non-metal parts in that area though.
Yes, the car has been driven on occasion in a Chicago winter. While I tried to rinse off any road salt, I am sure that area was exposed to it even briefly.
So question, is there a way to chemically losen the bond between the metals. It's funny because the drain plug is very different. It's the typical steel plug, aluminum washer affair with a small magnet just like the engine oil plug on the thermostat. I wonder why Porsche decided to use aluminum on the fill plug.

Quick Reply: Heated bolt - how to question