Remote for Cab Top?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 03:45 PM
djbooya
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Remote for Cab Top?

From this video:

How do you control the cab top when not in the car? I have a '90, was that a feature on later model cars?
Old 09-19-2019, 08:24 PM
Norse_man
Racer

i Have a great universal remote for operating just about anything when I am out of reach. It’s called my wife. Instead of hey Siri I simply say hey honey? And I get a response and I can make my request. It has been pretty reliable through the years
Old 09-20-2019, 02:20 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Clever Just use the window raise function on a universal keyless entry system. Nothing more than tapping into a few wires though will need a relay due to the current.

That said, life with a completely manual top is glorious- nothing to break, just unlatch and drop it back, and shed 16lbs.

ps- No, this was never a factory function
Old 09-20-2019, 02:25 PM
mingot
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -nick
That said, life with a completely manual top is glorious- nothing to break, just unlatch and drop it back, and shed 16lbs.
Mine is half manual -- the latching and unlatching are still done via switch. If the parts were not so expensive i would likely go full manual.

It does seem hard to get the boot on when the cable does not pull the top "in". that is a bummer, too.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:34 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by mingot
It does seem hard to get the boot on when the cable does not pull the top "in". that is a bummer, too.
I've had that happen if the folded fabric gets pinched between the side arms when the top is lowered. That keeps the whole mechanism from dropping all of the way down. Might be what you're getting too?
Old 09-20-2019, 02:34 PM
djbooya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mingot
Mine is half manual -- the latching and unlatching are still done via switch. If the parts were not so expensive i would likely go full manual.

Is yours half manual because the motors are broken or you don't want to use them anymore?

My electric top motors were fixed about 10 years ago..unfortunately I blew them trying to raise the top without first taking off the cover ...4k lesson learned.. I figure I'll have many more years with the new parts before I have to worry about it breaking down again.. I was happy to find the tool kit was complete with the relevant tools to disengage the electronics for me to get the top back up and on my way. I was in the middle of the desert in NV at a rest stop on a PCA drive across highway 50 when it happened.

Quick Reply: Remote for Cab Top?